Elon Musk's brightly-lit X sign more than just an eyesore

Originally published at: Elon Musk's brightly-lit X sign more than just an eyesore | Boing Boing

3 Likes

In the UK there are routes to complain about this kind of thing. Would it be the same in the US?

9 Likes

Absolutely. This sign’s installation would appear to have violated San Francisco’s Planning Code, and they do have a process for filing complaints for violations. I would imagine complaints have already been filed.

16 Likes

Has anyone checked to see if the blinking and flashing includes some sort of coded reference to 420?
Or 69? Or 1488?

16 Likes

If you’ve ever wondered what a 12-year-old boy with poor impulse control would do with billions of dollars, Musk provides the answers.

27 Likes

Rebranding Twitter as “X” and spending money on a new sign = rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

12 Likes

Hahahahahahaha. Oh you sweet summer child.

2 Likes

Assuming facts not in evidence. “Having a new sign” doesn’t mean “spending money on a new sign”. This is Elon after all.

15 Likes

And a c.1982 subscription to Omni magazine, don’t forget.

20 Likes

All of this (well, minus the billions of dollars), describes me.

At 12, I think I’d have ended up with every C64 game, a whole bunch of movie props, and every SF&F book ever published. Poor impulse control is seriously understating it.

12 Likes

With the sign so bright, no one will see a high-power laser from next door.

10 Likes

No stupid questions, right? Also… It’s the USA, I can’t assume anything any more.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, we’ve slid out of 1st World, right past 2nd World, and we’re smack in the middle of the 3rd World pack right now…I’m honestly curious to see if we can bottom out past the 4th World and create a new category of 5th…

4 Likes

There is a process. But the system moves very very slowly, and is biased toward those that have money to burn fighting it.

5 Likes

Be a total shame if someone used a drone to drop paint on it.

Because that would be wrong.

11 Likes

Being a typical denizen of the web, I post my thoughts online all the time. I try not to step too far beyond the areas about which I know a thing or two, but I’m a lighting designer: It’s not very often I can speak with any particular authority on the things which typically atttract attention.

Well not today, Elon! I definitely know what I’m talking about, here, and I say with an informed and well-trained confidence: your sign is absolutely terrible! Boo! Your sign is bad and you should feel bad! It’s a horribly executed version of an initially terrible idea, and you should be embarrassed to have made it happen! Boo!

Still, we regular have clients asking us to design big bright signs for the tops of their buildings… Now we’ve an excellent example of ‘how not to do it’ to show them. Thanks Elon, you absolute numpty.

25 Likes

Yes. Shoot it.

13 Likes

Never a more American response… :rofl:

12 Likes

Except that the person you replied to is not American; you know what they say about assumptions…

3 Likes

seinfeld see GIF

15 Likes