Enjoy a nice warm glass of Dr. Pepper

I prefer hot lemonade:

I was a big Dr. Pepper drinker in the 60s, probably because I had an adolescent crush on Donna Loren, and I can’t remember this “warm Dr. Pepper” thing at all. I know people drank Vimto (a similar UK drink) warm.

They even got Columbia to do a promo LP for the concept (which I have-- worth it only for tossing the Dick Clark intro into mixes), ridiculous mish-mash of unrelated songs-- Andre Previn and Bob Dylan on the same album? Why?
lemon

As a kid I would see Dr. Pepper commercials and fall for it, get one when the family went out for dinner, and be confused and grossed out-- Dr. Pepper is (I guess) an acquired taste. Of course I’ve heard in some countries they think Coca Cola tastes like sweaty armpits, so whatever.

4 Likes

That is amazing, and just about the most caucasian thing I’ve ever heard of.

4 Likes

You see, I would assign that flavor to this…

4 Likes

Not this?

(Honestly, it’s not nearly as bad as it sounds.)

5 Likes

Those ads are from the '60s, decades before most people had microwave ovens.

They’d expect you to use the stove.

1 Like

No, RC Cola & a moon pie is the official breakfast of the South.

4 Likes

I grew up in Arkansas, and RC Cola was some weird rare thing, and I don’t know what a moon pie is, unless it’s a euphemism.

I think the best part of why RC Cola exists is because of a dispute with a local Coca-Cola salesman over the cost of the syrup.
Forget necessity being the mother of invention, sometimes it’s because somebody’s just pissed off.

7 Likes

It’s a euphemism for processed crap.

When I was 7 or 8 I used to load up on sugar every morning. I’ve told the story about the frosting. But at another point it was a box of MoonPies. They seemed pretty good at the time; within a few years I thought they were kind of nasty. (This was in New York, not the South, but my folks are from Tennessee and evidently brought their fond (or misremembered) memories of MoonPies with them.)

3 Likes

I grew up with hot doctor pepper (with a little lemon juice). I admit it sounds bizarre, but it’s legit tasty after a morning of shoveling snow.

1 Like

I’m not sure which is more disturbing: An obviously over the hill Dick Clark dressed up like Satanic James Dean™ in the middle of winter telling me that heated soda is a delicious winter drink or him threatening a snowman to agree by hovering a hot drink dangerously close to its head…

…or that 20 or so years later, he’d… ah… he’d… well, I got nothin’, I’ll just drop these here:

1 Like

Legend has it that Ferruccio Lamborghini started building sportscars (in addition to the tractors he was already building) because Enzo Ferrari pissed him off.

2 Likes

Okay, a thread about heating up soda, over 50 posts and counting, and nobody has stormed in boasting the virtues of sous-vide?
I am mildly disappointed.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that in addition to being a patent-lawsuit-serving bastard, Edison cheated Tesla out of earnings for work he did, setting Tesla on his future path.
Ah, capitalists. May they burn in hell.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I can’t speak for Arkansas, but Moon Pies (and RC Cola) were pretty much everywhere in Tennessee, Georgia and the Carolinas. Not so much Florida.

3 Likes

The facial expressions! They seemed to be less trustful of the server rather than what they were being served.

Little Alien (upon seeing guests’ obviously mistrusting him and his dirty little hands): “I know. I know.”

1 Like