Enjoy delicious Perdue wood nuggets while you can

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/18/enjoy-delicious-perdue-wood-nu.html

2 Likes

Perdue is getting into the mulch business.

2 Likes

A high fiber food source.

18 Likes

This news probably would have gotten out a few days earlier if the people who’s job it is to keep our food safe were being paid.

17 Likes

14 Likes

Perdue Wood Nuggets, now with 30% less Buscemi.

10 Likes

I’m wondering if the product has too much wood cellulose used as a filler.

9 Likes

That was my thinking. Or maybe they discovered an issue with the processing of the cellulose gum that made it… too woody?

5 Likes

Why the recall? Was the wood not organic?

13 Likes

I somerimes chew some liquorice roots like this. But I think that thet dind’t made a specially flavoured nuggets.

3 Likes

Wood isn’t actually bad for you, libtards.

6 Likes

I’ll bet Apple Cabin Foods will buy up all that woody chicken stuff, and repackage it the Apple Cabin way. Something like this:

14 Likes

I work in food manufacturing. I’m a product development chef and food scientist. I spend a lot of time on the plant floor. I can pretty much guarantee that the wood that was found in a bag of chicken nuggets came from a pallet that the ingredients are stacked on. They break all the time, and shards of wood can make their way into an ingredient, grinder, or blender. 68,000 pounds of product is not that much to be honest with you. There could have been one small piece of wood that worked its way into a few bags, but out of an abundance of caution they recall the entire lot. 68k lbs is probably one days run, so it all comes back to be destroyed. This shit happens, and the fact that there’s a recall means the system works. As a manufacturer you set up a HACCP plan to minimize the risk of a product being adulterated- accidentally or on purpose- but it’s a matter of when and not if something physical, chemical, or biological gets in a product. Having worked with these large companies before, I can say that they take food safety seriously.

25 Likes

Yum. Wooden chicken nuggets are probably not as good as these wooden cookies.

7 Likes

You’d be passing briquettes for weeks.

5 Likes

If anyone here buys the shake can Parmesan cheese, or any pre-shredded bagged cheese… you’re already eating wood cellulose.

P.S: I still buy the stuff, but at least i’m making the conscious decision to buy it because its what i can afford

7 Likes

If the wood is from industrial pallets, which I use where I work, it may very well be.

Do you know how they soak telephone poles in creosote? They sometimes do that with shipping pallets, soak with different chemicals so that they last outside.

If you want to eat that go buy it and pay for it. I prefer my chicken nuggets without chemical soaked tree. And let’s be honest too, no fucking person pays 4 chicken nuggets and wants wood in them. Shit happens but saying shit is safe does not make people want to eat shit, or make putting shit in shitless item right.

This is why the FDA exists. Just think what happens in countries where there is no food inspection. Remember that drywall baby milk from China? There’s a reason we pay people to inspect this shit.

3 Likes

Can you burn them in a fire rather than KFC logs?

9 Likes

I think it’s better to buy a wedge of cheese and grate it, if not the real deal, you can search for Grana Padano, Valgrana and Trentingrana that are quite similar in consistency.
http://www.concast.tn.it/Ecommerce/TrentinGrana/en/Trentingrana1-Prodotti.xml?S1=004

Most of the wood pallets that food (raw materials and finished goods) is shipped on are not soaked in creosote or other chemicals (i.e. bug resistant). Wood pallets for commercial food manufacturing are also generally not stored outside in the elements.

3 Likes