Every Sci-Fi Spaceship in one mind-blowing size comparison chart

Well, if you read the description, all of these ships, including the TARDIS, are also being displayed /inside/ the TARDIS, so there IS that.

5 Likes

Wait, what?

The Fleet-of-Worlds has nothing to do with transmitting ships. It’s 6/5 planets, moving synchronously.

I couldn’t find the cylinder-with-rotating-sphere humpback whale-friendly ship from Star Trek IV.

2 Likes

Well, yes, but it’s a smaller feat than building a huge chain of sun transmitters, as did the sun engineers did - with a little bit of help of the Lemurians, about 50.000 years ago in Perry Rhodan.

Of course, that was small compared to the Mastra Xantomama (Cosmic Caravan), a dirigible dwarf-galaxy of some 11.000 lightyears length. One of quite a few, by the way. But we can let those pass, as they get their from beings (if that term applies) who are two levels above a singularity.

Was it a ship? I always assumed it was some kind of alien space whale, just migrating through the galaxy and being pissed because his favorite Earthicans were not around anymore.

that’s not a knife.

3 Likes

looked all over for Yggdrasil from Hyperion … no luck. :frowning:

A small subset of the ships show in Jeff Russell’s STARSHIP DIMENSIONS
www.merzo.net

2 Likes

Yeah, this made the rounds a little while ago. I wish they’d stop portraying it as ‘every’ space ship. It’s a nice achievement, but it falls far, far short of any such metric. It doesn’t even comprehensively cover most of the TV shows, movies or video games. It’s basically a lot of ships that the guy likes from a host of sources. I mean, he doesn’t even cover all the ships in some of the series he likes.

Nothing wrong with that, but there are plenty of glaring omissions from it, even from major franchises.

Galaxy Quest wasn’t a TV show (except in the movie, where it was).

1 Like

ah, okay, you’re not talking about Known Space. Also, you’re not talking about spaceships, but buildings (as in things that are built).

1 Like

Did anyone find the Heart of Gold? I got lost in the EVE and Warhammer hordes.

1 Like

Well, the Fleet of Worlds isn’t a spaceship, either. Just a couple of celestial bodies moving along. Preceded by Barkon (Perry Rhodan 32, 1962) and Wanderer (Perry Rhodan 19, also 1962.)

Barkon was hollowed out and put on a course back the the galaxy, leaving its sun alone. Wanderer 8.000 km wide and looked like this:

1 Like

I didn’t see the Planet Express ship. There were a couple of ships from Firefly but not Serenity herself. Or did I miss it?

Also the Phloston (sp?) Paradise and the other ships from Fifth Element? Seems like a lot is missing here, while there are many really obscure ships.

Not only was it a ship, it was “just a probe”.
See: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Whale_Probe

Its estimated length was 70kms, easily dwarfing the Invasion Mothership from Independence Day.

It may be a “forest for the trees” problem, but I’m not seeing any Dune, Hitchhiker’s Guide, or Krull ships here either (or does folding time/space not count?).

2 Likes

The Satellite of Love is behind that Super Star Destroyer.

They seem to be missing the Rama (Rendezvous with Rama) – it is physically 50,000 meters long and (if I remember correctly) infinitely long “inside”

edit: was corrected by @s2redux
I was thinking of the Thistledown from Eon

1 Like

The problem is that there are just so many different space sci-fi universes out there, you’re bound to miss some, and every last one of them is ridiculously beloved by SOMEBODY.

For example, I was bummed out that they don’t include any Wing Commander ships, or anything from the Descent or Freespace games. Not exactly as big as Star Wars, sure, but these are still well known classics of the genre. (That and I personally will always love the Athena Fighter-Bomber.)

Edit - Well I’ll be darned! The artist updated the image since last I saw it! Freespace and Wing Commander added! Woot!

I thought Wing Commander was on there? Bottom right?