Evidently, Ted Cruz has to show his ID to buy a cheeseburger

Originally published at: Evidently, Ted Cruz has to show his ID to buy a cheeseburger | Boing Boing

15 Likes

Wasn’t this a thing a while ago back during the Trump presidency, conservatives claiming that you had to show a ID for burgers or some such?

41 Likes

I would ask Ted Cruz to show his ID to buy a cheeseburger just to make sure I wasn’t throwing the cheeseburger at an innocent lookalike.

58 Likes

Whataboutism Burger IS pretty popular in Texas. :man_shrugging:

62 Likes

Check and mate! Well played, Mr Cruz, well played.

6 Likes

Grocery stores.

20 Likes

tumblr_514bd8bdcaa7571035ae806f5daf20aa_0d3d1238_500

15 Likes

i’m sure what he’s alluding to are vaccine mandates and needing to show proof of vaccination to dine indoors in certain places. although that stuff seems to be coming to an end, these guys still want to keep harping on it (like this trucker convoy - what exactly are they protesting??)

12 Likes

yeah trump said you have to show ID to buy groceries. closest thing to reality here might be when writing a check, some places want to write your drivers license number on the check in case you are kiting. this seems like security theater to me since someone that’s passing bad checks also probably has a fake ID for just this reason.

10 Likes

I had to show an ID to buy a cheeseburger last month. They wouldn’t let me in the restaurant without ID and proof of vaccine.

2 Likes

I had to show ID when I bought hamburger at the grocery store the other day because I had to take out a loan to buy it.

17 Likes

They weren’t protesting Jacques Shitte. They were just astro-turfed nazis on wheels, making a dry run at paralyzing the capitol. Then Putin went completely stupid and stole all their thunder, with the Ukrainians showing people what REAL patriots do.

31 Likes

Translated from English into MAGA: " … but at the same time, they demand show me your [COVID vaccine card] to buy a cheeseburger."

That we don’t understand that “ID” has morphed into a MAGA meme and make jokes about what Cruz said is just more proof that we all need to be hauled off to the Gulag.

3 Likes

Except there aren’t (weren’t, at this point) a lot of cities doing that, and none of those places are in Texas, so probably not. And as mentioned, this isn’t the first time some variation of this idea has been expressed (and long before the pandemic). It’s not based on anything in the real world, it’s just the Republicans attempting to downplay voter ID requirements by claiming it’s not a big deal - but all they can come up with as examples are these incredibly silly fictions.

The videos of the demoralized “truckers” who got to Washington are hilarious - they were all upset because people were pissed off they were disrupting traffic. Like, “Gosh, how could people be upset we came to their community to disrupt their lives - we’re doing it to protest vaccine mandates that no longer exist (if they ever did)!”

17 Likes

Or you might get carded if you’re buying booze at the grocery store, but nobody is asking for ID if you’re buying a box of Cheerios and paying with cash or credit card.

11 Likes

Where? NYC?

3 Likes

If that’s what he’s talking about it provides a good illustration of his tendency to deploy fallacies and shoddy HS debate club tricks in service of his consistently awful political aims (which have little to do with fulfilling the real-world needs of Texans).

12 Likes

It would be hilarious if after his next trip to Mexico he was turned back at the border.

25 Likes

Oh, don’t tease us like that…!

12 Likes

this guy is an old school republican. there’s a shred of truth to his lies. doesn’t matter that the vaccine-carding restaurants were not in texas when you’re virtue signaling. i do agree that it all fits the narrative of voter suppression.

i think people have gotten so used to trump just making BS up out of whole cloth that they figure every other politician is doing the same thing.

1 Like