Ex con fraudster felon Jim Bakker claims 'Merry Christmas' Was Outlawed

He knows this flock will line up to be fleeced no matter what he does. Like Trump, there is a substantial number of people that will believe anything a televangelist tells them.

I once had someone, reasonably intelligent, with a straight face tell me Bakker was a “godly man” but had been misled by the devil.

There is nothing anyone can do to make such people stop believing this sort of con man.

8 Likes

Mmmm… tastes like F-F-Freedom, y’all!

(could use a little salt, truth be told)

1 Like

Such people genuinely think Jesus spoke English and the bible was written by him directly with some help from Paul. Try it. Tell them the “bible” was put together in the fourth century by Catholics choosing from among literally hundreds of “gospels” and “acts” and “epistles” and the Byzantine Emperor (who made it very clear what books he liked) and they decided by vote and you will get “deer in the headlights” stares pretty much every time.

For double fun tell them a Chiropractor is actually working in Jesus’ name thus the Chi Rho in their name. :wink:

9 Likes

Many don’t even understand that Jesus was a Jew.

3 Likes

I hear that Donald Trump is bringing back other Christmas traditions. He might be taking it a bit too seriously though.

6 Likes

Yes, I assume both parsings of that line are intentional

1 Like

The best physics lecturer at my college once told our class that the second law of thermodynamics makes evolution impossible. I pointed out that this isn’t true if you include the sun (as a source of energy) in the system and he agreed.

This guy knew the right answer better than us. But he had to say that stupid thing. I still don’t get it.

5 Likes

I used to drive my father nuts by asking “Who do you mean by ‘they’?” when he made broad, unsupported pronouncements of ‘facts’ or ‘the way things really are’. Probably why we rarely had extensive conversations.

4 Likes

This reminds me of that time they outlawed use of the phrase “pine tree” in late December.

2 Likes

Some years back I set up a broadband network for my mother and gave the equipment to my sister to deliver and install. She brought the power supply back so the system failed when the battery ran flat a few days later. I asked her why she didn’t (a) wonder where the electricity was going to come from or (b) read the instructions I had written. She replied this is something they are supposed to do for you.

I imagine that they is just a generic word for something outside our local system. Like the sun, and the gas company.

4 Likes

Clearly, being a liar and a con man is still Bakker’s only marketable skill set.

1 Like

What do you mean “both parsings”…ohhhhh…

Took me a while to get the PG read of that.

2 Likes

Same!

The trouble is when your rhetorical question is instead met with, “who’s they? Who’s they?! Oh, let me tell you…” I suspect that’s what one would encounter with Jim Bakkker.

Except my questions weren’t rhetorical. I’d ask the question, look right into his eyes and wait with an expectant look on my face. Drove him nuts, and I suspect gave my mother some quiet satisfaction that he was put on the spot for spouting off at the mouth.

3 Likes

Happy New Year to you . . . in jail!

feraud

2 Likes

On a brighter note, had to pick up my son from school today. Apparently they play music in between classes on Fridays. Coincidentally, just as I was reading this post, Imagine by John Lennon started playing over the loudspeakers. Closed the post page and just smiled.

5 Likes

The relative in question isn’t remotely religious, and in most ways is a lefty, but had a blue-collar anti-semetic BF for a while and the attitudes clung.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/xdXO52ZMcCM

Carlos Rodriguez: They say she is one of them.
Rigby Reardon: Who is…“them”?
Carlos Rodriguez: Nobody knows. Only they know who is “them”.

2 Likes