Ex-GOP chair tells Trump-supporting evangelicals to"‘shut the hell up!"

I am hoping that the complete hypocrisy of the fake Christian religious right stays on full display for the next 3 years and that the American voters elect leaders who respect the separation of church and state.

4 Likes

Mar-a-lago has a chapel?

4 Likes

That headline really needs a hyphen. Reads like the Ex-GOP chair is telling Trump to shut up. Should be “Trump-supporting evangelicals”.

4 Likes

Republican_jesus

10 Likes

He’d at least be a social democrat, something not that popular in the US

13 Likes

Steele’s a funny dude – more moderate than a large part of the current GOP, but still pretty ridiculous on things like climate change and the other usual nonsense. That said, I’d have more respect for him and all the other conservatives coming out against Trump if they bothered actually putting more actions to where their mouths are.

And no, retiring isn’t an action, as much as I like the idea of seats opening up in those places, leadership changing, etc. That’s opening it up to something potentially worse – get off your asses and split the party in half already. You’d probably pick up some fed up D’s along the way too.

10 Likes

Actually, those statutes were part of the Mosaic Law that was written for the people of Israel. That went away when Jesus came into the scene in the New Testament, so people who identify as Christian aren’t expected to adhere to them today.

5 Likes

Evangelicals like to play the martyr role of being somehow “kicked around” by a demonstrably Christian President who went out of his way to speak at their gatherings and work with them, but the dude can’t help the color of his skin or the screaming of “religious right” radio personalities who made their money by sowing distrust of his background.

Christian evangelicals are doing more to turn young people away from their religion than any anti-religious group could hope to do.

22 Likes

Maher used to have Steele on a lot as a regular guest on Real Time. He’d always get completely pwned by Maher and the other panelists and end up giggling like an idiot in the absence of any coherent response to their mockery.

That a hapless conservative shill like that can see the hypocrisy here and call it out effectively says a lot about the moral, ethical, and intellectual bankruptcy of Perkins and his ilk.

13 Likes

Darn! Thanks for spoiling it for me! What about all that Leviticus stuff they keep foisting on the contemporary world?

10 Likes

They’re totes cool with all the God of Wrath ethnic cleansing and gay bashing and slut-shaming and chattel-holding stuff from the Old Testament, don’t you worry.

13 Likes

Obama “kicked around” evangelicals? How? Oh, because he wouldn’t let them discriminate against homosexuals. Gotcha. That qualifies as “being kicked around” now.

24 Likes

100% wool might be cool

2 Likes

Must be, because they don’t know what leftists look like either.

15 Likes

Yet Mar a Lago has a chapel—it’s the room with the 2 tonne door and the dials on the outside.

10 Likes

Actually, those statutes were part of the Mosaic Law that was written for the people of Israel. That went away when Jesus came into the scene in the New Testament, so people who identify as Christian aren’t expected to adhere to them today.

Cancel the Ten Commandments!

8 Likes

Riiiiight. The OT is for cherry-picking. Got it.

Why is it that Christians keep themselves willfully ignorant of the fact that they are simply a (particularly successful) Judaic cult?

(edit: sorry, don’t mean to sound so snarky… Too often I allow religion to get my goat.)

7 Likes

Was thinking the same thing; this isn’t the 1st time, even recently, he’s complained about fellow Repubs.

1 Like

So now the political debate has “Jumped the Shark” in a bad sitcom, “Fool House”:

(“Patriots and Tyrants” Episode 5, Season 100-something, 30-minutes)

Dialogue:
“Well, your guy is way worse than my guy!”
“You’re a poopiehead! At least my guy didn’t go completely bonkers like your guy!”
“Shut up, shut up, shut up, nanana-- I can’t hear you!”
“I’m the older one, I get to make the rules!”
“Yeah, well, you wanted to elect a girl! Ewwww!”
“Your guy is way worse! Infinity times 2 worse!”
“Is not!”
“Is too!”
“Stop copying meeee!”

Minutes later … much later …

“I didn’t punch you! You ran into my fist!”

Lady Liberty comes rushing in: “Kids, kids!!! Stop fighting! Everyone’s on a time out, do you hear me? ‘Lic’! ‘Mo’! Stop biting! That’s it! When your father comes home, there’s going to be trouble!”

(Fighting continues, Dad walks in from a hard day at Brexit trading Pounds for Euros…)

“Frank, what are you going to do about this? The twins are at each other’s throats again!”

(France): “Awww, geez Libby … we tried this last time. They’re already fat and spoiled. Let ‘em fight it out. A few bloody noses to refresh the tree of Liberty and all that, ya’ know?”

(Frank goes to the fridge to get a German beer … Hessian Stout on the label.)

(Meanwhile Libby is trying to unclog the toilet because one of them had “drained the swamp” with toy alligators …)

Stay tuned for Act 2: “Life Lessons” (… after this commercial break)

And Act 3: “We’re All Friends Now” (… in the heart-felt conclusion, like we always were with TV comedies and our goldfish-long memories.)

Next week’s storyline in TV Guide:
When it comes to lobbying the Disney-Walmart Studios for contract renegotiations, Frank meets his nosy neighbor couple Mr. and Mrs. Executive Producer, who never seem to make any money but live in that nice house over there.

2 Likes

Christians like to use that as a get-out-of-jail-free card to defend their hypocrisy, but somehow they don’t understand that the “NT cancels the OT” rule would also cancel the 10 Commandments, the laws of the Temple that Jesus was all in favor of, and all of the allusions to incest and homosexuality.

15 Likes