Ex-GOP chair tells Trump-supporting evangelicals to"‘shut the hell up!"

When I read his statement, I said to myself - “self, that’s one republican statement I can agree with”.

2 Likes

Yes! More parties in US politics.

I love parties. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

From the mouth of Jesus:

For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Matthew 5:18

Sounds to me like a lot of christians are disobeying the law that is still in effect since at the very least earth is still here.

10 Likes

Sounds about right. I lived in MD when he was LT Gov and during his unsuccessful Senate bid. This is one of the rare times I agree with him.

2 Likes

snl-stefon-laughs-more

12 Likes

Acts of the Apostles, Chapter 10. Got that one covered.

@LDoBe yeah, but you’ve also got matthew 18:18:
“I tell you the truth, whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven.”

1 Like

To resolve the logical dilemma, the Kenyan Muslim Birther movement was started.

27 Likes

I’ll go Michael Steele one better:

I didn’t want Evangelicals preaching at me even when they were still being “consistent.”

11 Likes

I used to think that Trump was good at figuring out what people were angry about and parroting that back at them…But it turns out that he just watched Fox News… I guess that means that it is the Australians and not the Russians that we should worry about…

4 Likes

Best answer I can think of is to convince Lachlan Murdoch to break up his father’s empire.

But its going to be complicated.

2 Likes

Fake news…he’s supposed to be up on the altar being venerated…

Well, “cherry-picked” after serious discussion at the Council of Jerusalem in the first twenty years of the Christian faith.

Nevertheless, we still have a hypocrisy-fest of biblical proportions going on right here and now.

3 Likes

More a god of the crap, I think

I was just about to post that Matthew 5:17 bit too.

1 Like

Hee! Big, family-sized Can’O’Worms here.

From NT references, Jesus successfully argued with the elders of the (presumably Jewish) temple so he presumably had a working understanding of their books and laws. Jesus seemed to to respect laws, but not respect people who hid behind the letter of the law rather than doing what was ‘right’ according to the bigger picture: viz Man and the Sabbath. So, there is, by normal Holy Book standards, good evidence in the Gospels for what Jesus would have thought of Evangelicals.

However, even the NT did not exist until some time after Jesus. These sort of alliances between Christians and other denominations happened in things like the Council of Ephesus, the Council of Nicea, and stuff like that. The OT was patched onto the bible at one of these. Jesus never went through Leviticus with his teacher’s red pen.

Which is a shame. I think he would have made a good job of it.

4 Likes

If we accept that, it does remove their condemnation of same sex relationships. Either you take Leviticus or you leave it.

1 Like

He did give us the TL;DR version:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

6 Likes

Pop your commandment in at the top of the stack. Nice one. I don’t believe he was the Son of God. I don’t think he believed it either. But he was good.

I had quite forgotten that last line. However, for an atheist who was last taught that stuff 47 years ago, I could do worse. At least I know more than Leviticus 18:22.

3 Likes

Actually that is mentioned in the New Testament as well in 1Corinthians 6:9-10. Not passing judgement, I think people should be with whomever they feel happiest. Just saying that it’s not exclusive to Leviticus.

Just want to say how frustrated I am that they want to ban ALL abortion, but BY GOD they will not feed a hungry child.

Amazing.

5 Likes