Fall Holidays 2023!

Tim Burton’s Vincent featuring Edgar Allan Poe’s The Raven

2 Likes
4 Likes

I was afraid that the black cats would get lost in the darkness, but they are still visible. I thought about adding led eyes to them.

12 Likes

The above two images are of calaveras de azúcar and friends, including Santa Muerte en azúcar, and were taken decades ago at the Feria del Alfeñique in Toluca, Edo., Mexico. They’ve lived on various hard drives since I found them in the late 90s-early oughties. The skull on the R in the top image is the standard by whom I’ve come to judge all subsequently discovered ultra- mega- hyper-fancy calaveras. The detail is just astonishing. Whoever made it is a genius.

Here are some more good 'uns:

It’s always such a shame when the entire object doesn’t make it into the frame…

Yes, Baby, you are indeed Extra AF.

The Feria del Alfeñique offers lotsa yummy goodies other than skulls

and bones:

Lots of non-comestibles are also for sale

¡Señor Cremoso!
Mistah Creeemeh!
…including adorable statues and little statuettes of folks goin’ about their daily business. I’ve seen doctors, lawyers, bartenders, a GF gave us one of cute little skeletal card players, pole dancers, police, teachers, musicians

even feria vendors!

Calacas Gigantes
Love Love Love that they’re right in front of the church with their backs to it!

Day of the Dead

WHEE!

12 Likes

It’s a Friday the 13th in October everyone!!!

friday-13-reb-black

8 Likes

I like that! Did you make it?

6 Likes

Most methods of making a costume sexy are just removing fabric from the equation. More skin makes it more appealing, right? Going with that logic, I guess these designers thought men in short overalls, flaunting their shins and slutty knees, would just send us all over the moon. Thank you, sexy Mario.

9 Likes

Yeah.

5 Likes

Cool! Do you mind sharing what the materials are?

ETA I’m not going to copy, I’m just curious. I like the translucency. (And the lines of the design.)

5 Likes

Plywood and acrylic paint.

Here it is in the daylight.

Even though it doesn’t show, it folds in half for easier storage.

7 Likes

Oh! I see, it isn’t translucent, it’s being lit from the front? I took it as an “inner glow”, lol.

Neat, I really like it!

5 Likes

Thanks.

I should have added this earlier. What you’re seeing is a paint effect. A couple of coats of glow-in-the-dark paint, so it glows a little brighter than it normally would, even as it falls into shadow. Or at least that’s what I was hoping for.

6 Likes

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

2 Likes
4 Likes

ahem

No Nick?!

No Nik?!

tsk tsk tsk

4 Likes

Posted this in Odd Stuff, but it certainly b’longs here, too, also.

14 Aug 2010
At precisely 13:13, a boy aged 13 was seen by the St John Ambulance team at Lowestoft Seafront Air Festival in Suffolk after he was struck by lightning, a spokesman said.

The boy suffered a minor burn and was taken to James Paget Hospital, where he is expected to make a full recovery.

Jason Gillingham, county ambulance officer and on scene at the show, said: “This was a very minor burn to the boy’s shoulder, but he was conveyed to hospital and is recovering well.” …

ETA:

6 Likes
5 Likes

10 Likes

6 Likes
3 Likes