Fan baffled: Why doesn't 62-year-old Jim Carrey look like 20-year-old Jim Carrey?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/08/fan-baffled-why-doesnt-62-year-old-jim-carrey-look-like-20-year-old-jim-carrey.html

3 Likes

9 Likes

Between cosmetic procedures and digital filters, many actors don’t look their age. That and loads of them were just fabulously good looking to begin with and have the benefit of money to afford good nutrition and fitness regimes and healthcare. But there are a few actors who have decided to age without over intervention.

13 Likes

You’ll understand when you get here, kid.

17 Likes

I see, young Jim Carrey worried what his future holds vs mature Jim Carrey being accepting of life.

20 Likes

I would prefer to have a car built by Jesus than by Elon.

17 Likes

31 Likes

He had a miserable childhood, so despite the fresh face, he was probably a lot sadder in the first picture.

10 Likes

Something about the nose and mouth…I want to see him play Johnny Cash.

8 Likes

What a shame. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Plus makeup and especially lighting can make a huge difference. Around 50 years ago I used to see Bert Parks, the guy who hosted the Miss America Pageant for years, at the post office in Greenwich. He was about 60 then (according to Wikipedia) and on TV he looked fine. In person his face had wrinkles you could lose a quarter in.

5 Likes

What happened to Jim? Life, my dear Gerard A. Malone. That’s what happened to Jim. It’s called life. You know, something you don’t have?

Jesus Flaming Christ on a lava motorbike, for crying out really loud… Einstein was definitely right about human stupidity.

6 Likes

Oh my Goofness…
This was my favorite ultimate rock n’ roll song in late 1991, more than My Bloody Valentine or Type O Negative’s albums that came out the same year at about the same time. But like the single version, not the radio version, or, as dear Sir Jourgensen has called it, not the ‘Short, Pusillanimous, So-They-Can-Fit-More-Commercials-On-The-Radio Edit’.
Oh and Gibby Haynes. Enough said.

7 Likes

Okay, that’s about as stupid - “This person has a different expression in one photo than they do in another! HOW?”* Also, I wouldn’t say he looks happy in the earlier photo, even.

*In posed photographs taken during different times in someone’s career, no less. Gee, it’s so weird that, after decades of Jim Carrey being asked to make zany expressions and laugh/smile, a photographer might want to break out of a cliche and have him be serious… (on top of which he’s moved to being more of a dramatic actor during that time).

5 Likes

If life were truly one long string of joyful things, would a sense of humour be very important to have?

Based on that question, I assume that anyone with professional-grade humour skills did not have a happy childhood.

3 Likes

Older Jim Carrey looks a little David Tennant-y. Probably the hair. OR proof that he’s a Timelord and regenerated into a different person?!

4 Likes

“Jesus wept”. Sounds like a sad dude to me. Or maybe mixing it up between happy and sad is a normal thing and he shouldn’t be judging other people for being sad.

3 Likes

If only he had a role model that told him not to judge people.

11 Likes

Maybe they watched 1985’s Once Bitten and thought Carrey was actually a vampire?

5 Likes

I think it’s that in the second photo he’s reminiscing that his vampire virgin movie just couldn’t follow Back to the Future.

2 Likes