Federal judge orders emergency injunction and restraining order ending Trump's #muslimban

I hope so. But that kinda sounds like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

Life tenure.

1 Like

I’m sure they’ll think of something.

2 Likes

We’re already here, but there are specific rules of engagement and we’re not allowed to just step in so directly. This is for the humans to figure out! Good luck, we’re rooting for you!

10 Likes

Friggin’ Americans… just because your country is made of bullshit, you want to mess things up for the rest of the planet. Selfish, that’s what it is.

6 Likes

Just remember that our election was STOLEN by the Russians and an extremely corrupt FBI Director who is playing some Hoover-esque blackmail games with the Trumpies. A majority of Americans by about 2.9 million did not vote for Trump. These are utterly bizarre times, trust me.

14 Likes

Not sure if I am quite up to the friendly alien pegging level yet.

2 Likes

I’ll take an ET over the Dump-ster fire that we are now enduring, any day…

6 Likes

They’ve already been violating a judge’s order. This one is broader, and I’m sure they’ll happily ignore this one, too. This is what it looks like when the rule of law goes out the window.

14 Likes

I’m sure all the CBP people are afraid for their jobs as well, but people in this position have to stand up against this. We can’t be bullied into betraying our values and system of democracy, or it will just be replaced by authoritarianism.

The acting attorney general did the only right thing, and everybody down the line has to do the same.

12 Likes

Gees c’mon, the whole story is an establishment lie. Don simply blocked immigration from specific countries. If those countries were not bound by religious intolerance, with governments who actively legislated for one religion against others, this would not even be a Muslim issue.
Immigration from all countries that do not adhere to core principles of your own country is a reasonable thing, that’s just the way it is. So immigration banned from countries with very bad track record of religious intolerance is reasonable. They are all worse than the US in this regard, much worse.

I don’t even see it on the front page of any of the major news outlets…for whatever thats worth.

1 Like

Who is the establishment, if not the President?

Refugees, permanent residents…

16 Likes

I am trying to figure this issue out. It is my understanding that visas are issued by the State Department, and that will usually get you to your port of entry. But actual entry through the port is controlled by Customs and Border Protection, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security.
What I am wondering is if the issuance of a visa by State overrules any objections by the CBP agent at the airport. Or maybe this is the basic issue behind the lawsuit. I have done a huge bunch of traveling, but I don’t really know the nuances of how the system works for non-citizens.

CBP is also one of the strongest pro-Trump collectives in the US.

7 Likes
1 Like

Most countries make a distinction between right of entry and right to stay. Usually, there is a disclaimer on the visa itself that says “this document does not guarantee right of entry.”

Basically, a visa only guarantees you the right to live and work in a country but the right to enter is determined at your port of arrival. This is meant to guarantee that border control can still refuse entry if you have, say, travelled to a proscribed country since the visa was issued or if you are carrying contraband.

14 Likes

I don’t know that fear for their jobs is much of a driving factor here. From what I understand the next step in enforcing these judicial orders is issuing contempt rulings. Including fines and jail time. Against whoever it is that’s dictating the court orders go ignored. That’s likely going to fall on CBP people (initially). So while some of them (many of these guys are Union) may be looking at getting fired for complying with the court. They’re looking at being fired (in a way the Union can’t protect them from) and jail time for refusing to do so.

From what I understand the next step after that is sending in the US Marshals to enforce the court orders. At which point you’ve got Armed Federal Officers facing off against Armed Federal Officers.

They’re risking a fuck ton more than their jobs by stonewalling and smugly referring people to Trump.

At least a couple of citizens

The basic issue behind the lawsuit is the fact that order driving the detentions and Visa/Green Card seizures violates the constitution on several fronts. As well as several federal laws.

10 Likes

Pence was just on TV - he said they were obeying the court orders. True?

And what more does Trump have to do to be impeached.

1 Like