Federal judge orders emergency injunction and restraining order ending Trump's #muslimban

They lied about the number of people detained already.

3 Likes

Instituting unconstitutional laws/policies doesn’t necessarily hit the bar of “high crimes and misdemeanors”. Ordering people to violate court orders, or being found in contempt of court himself on the other hand…

Sadly the real answer is “serve alongside a DNC congress”. No way in hell is the GOP going to go after him.

4 Likes

Then you’ll be fine with other countries blocking US travel, I assume?

11 Likes

Everyone needs a hobby…

9 Likes

An artifact from the election campaign, but useful for context.

6 Likes

I was sent this today:

I don’t know how plausible this is, but it’s worrying nonetheless.

7 Likes

And it also needs to be said that the job they are complaining about is having immigrants approach them and say they are seeking asylum and be given bottled water and taken into custody. They are literally complaining that they have been trained to handle their jobs with compassion and want more forcing people to turn back at gunpoint.

6 Likes

You don’t actually believe what you wrote, do you? If any of that were actually the reason for the ban, a whole hell of a lot more than 7 countries would be on that list, including Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Israel (don’t even try to tell me Israel doesn’t favor the majority religion there over the minority ones), Indonesia, Greece, Argentina, Scotland, England, and I really don’t feel like listing all the countries with official state religions but I imagine you get the idea by now. Or maybe you don’t, but whatever. Anyway, here’s a list of countries which recognize one religion as the official state religion, this favoring that religion over others. Trump’s got some work to do to ban travel from all these countries.

12 Likes

But where would the golf go?

1 Like

Lylmik?

6 Likes

Sure, why not?

*I’d never even heard of that series before, but now I want to read it. Added to the list (that never ends…)

4 Likes

Worth the time. Make sure you read them in chronological order; Pliocene Exile, then Intervention, then the Galactic Milieu trilogy.

4 Likes

Noted, thanks.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m already a little tired of being told what I shouldn’t be paying attention to. Don’t pay attention to his tweets. Don’t be suckered into thinking that these EOs are the real problem.

Lots of experts think they can see through the fog to what’s “really there.”

(I’m not talking about you. I’m talking about the guy you link to, and others.)

8 Likes

That’s reserved for fending off something really important. Like the destruction of Iceland or somewhere equally nice.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll admit it’s gotten a bit ridiculous. Plus there’s the fact that only he, (and maybe those in his inner circle) knows what he has planned. I’m not going to pretend I have the faintest idea.

I suppose that regardless of what he is planning, people opposed to him just have to keep on finding ways to push back.

4 Likes

Federal judges enjoy lifetime appointments.

https://ballotpedia.org/Impeachment_of_federal_judges

2 Likes

First, they should be better trained than that, because training is what takes over when you don’t know what to do. If you have to choose between the court order and anything else, you choose the court order.

Second, when it comes to defying a court order, their primary fear should be that of going to jail.

Trump to Judge: “You’re Fired!”

The wording of the executive order is a really broad blanket statement-- it bans anyone from those countries, including people who might be oppressed minorities. How does that help them or us?

Furthermore there is an implication in the executive order (one Trump has been making for a long time) that our immigration process is not good enough, “they don’t know what the heck is going on!” I doubt Trump spent any time studying the actual process, and the executive order simultaneously seeks to “reduce investigative burdens” while Trump is always talking about more investigations via “extreme vetting.”

Like others have said, it’s hard to tell if these guys are just completely incompetent novices, or deliberately sowing chaos to further some other goal.

3 Likes