FedEx fires driver who recorded himself saying he won't deliver packages to houses with Biden and BLM flags

That’s why I pointed out that in rural areas, it really is the norm rather than the exception.

Interestingly, the few places nearby where I know the inhabitants vote Democratic have a tendency to hang bunting on their porches instead, which is a good way to show ‘patriotism’ in an area where you are very much judged for that without all of the issues of maintaining the flag code.

14 Likes

Self inflicted wounds, something something something.

9 Likes

That explains why we occasionally have to call our fedex rep at work when something doesn’t show up and the seller tells us they got an alert that the address was wrong; My only guess is that they have one of these contractors run our route when the regular guy takes time off.

Yeah, I cringe whenever I see that, because I learned the Flag Code pretty early in my life, and I respect the country I live just enough to follow it.

I’m trying to remember if burning the flag in a ceremony or something is still the appropriate method to destroy worn out flags, though…

14 Likes

My German “mom” came to visit one summer and was here for the 4th of July. She commented on how creeped out she was by all the flags. I hadn’t really even noticed before then, but now I can’t not see them and the fascistic undertones.

And maybe a stray bear or two?

That does sound eerie. Almost like a skeleton of fascism…

19 Likes

Great, now we’re going to see the MAGAts try to start their own “patriotic” delivery service. Eligible addresses must display American flags (confederate battle flags or thin blue line flags are acceptable) and no “terrorist” content (BLM, Pride flags, anything supporting the scientific method). I’m sure they’ll hire this guy in a heartbeat. The lawsuits and inevitable massive grifting will be entertainment for years to come!

3 Likes

My partner and I drove from CenTex to Schulenburg(,Texas) last weekend. From where we were to where we went, that meant it was a mostly rural drive. Plenty of U.S. flags, and yeah, we both wondered how many people were truly maintaining flag code (taking the flag down right before dusk, or make sure the flag is illuminated at night, etc.).

We saw some “Trump 2024” flags, and some MAGA flags, and a few black-and-white “blue line” flags as well (sheesh, talk about a violation of at least the spirit of our flag code!).

For folks who haven’t seen it, the righthand flag is the U.S. flag.

What that other flag in the picture is and what it stands for are hotly debated.

Huh–good idea!

15 Likes

Re-entering the U.S. after a long trip is always striking in that way too. Arriving at an international airport, you’re not only bombarded with ads but also flags and worship of the military. You definitely know you’re back in the heart of an empire.

20 Likes

1004cd6dc2deeaf5f12b478c2088e613

4438ACC7-57E7-4583-A6CD-506000BE36CC

25 Likes

My response to that? Ha-ha

8 Likes

same here after living abroad. my theory is people just aren’t sure where canada begins and ends so it’s a helpful reminder that, nope, yup, still here in the us of a.

actually, i could see being a first or second generation immigrant and being like: yeah, this is the country i chose. go me. go usa. but most americans just happened to be born here. it’s not like any of us did anything special.

even serving in the military: it’s like come on, you really wouldn’t have served a different country if you’d been born there? ( i mean sure, maybe you wouldn’t have been so poor and ridden with medical debt, maybe you might have had more choices that didn’t involve pew pew guns… but probably you would have served. let’s be honest. )

now if there were a undead zombie washington in virginia somewhere, he gets to wave a flag.

14 Likes

More on topic than my previous post, I find it overly irritating when people (especially those working for a corporation or county) act like they get to decide who gets their services. Like those clerks who refuse to issue marriage licenses for same-sex couples.
I only ever hear about this from RWNJs. And I know this guy here was just going for publicity, but it’s not unheard of.
Just out of curiosity, anyone know of similar stories of public or other workers acting like this, but on the other end of the political spectrum?

13 Likes

The news practically writes itself these days, doesn’t it?

6 Likes

Like FedEx drivers even need an excuse these days?

6 Likes

@Melizmatic this is where you use the image of Canuck the crow with a knife.

The raven and crows were yelling at each other earlier. Presumably they had opinions on me spoiling the joke in the other thread.

Most Canadians feel that way too (myself included). America is absolutely drenched in flags. Every gas station, every office, the clothing, the stickers on cars, it goes on and on. I don’t think most Americans realize how over the top it all is, because they grew up with it.

When I was growing up in Canada, you actually had to look pretty hard to find a flag. Post offices and government buildings were it. In fact, the flag was a handy way to spot a government building in a city, like if you’re wandering downtown, trying to find the passport office, look for the flag. You see more maple leaves (leafs?) flying these days, which I have mixed feelings about. It might be a defensive reaction as America continues to get crazier every year.

11 Likes

Now he has more time for his hobbies, such as ingesting boot leather.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen way more depictions of the Canadian flag on Canadians traveling abroad than I ever have in Canada. :joy:
They tell me it’s so they won’t get mistaken for Americans, which is valid.

17 Likes

I am guilty of this one, and honestly, I am more patriotic from having lived behind the Yankee Curtain for 25 years. Being down there makes you appreciate Canada a whole lot more. Like, when Canadians complain about the government, it’s in that adorable 1970s way where there are minor differences in policy for how to achieve humanist goals. Not, “oh today our conspiracy theory government hired a militia to attempt a coup and nobody can get healthcare for all their mass shootings”.

18 Likes

At this point, not so much - even police departments are discouraging/banning the “thin blue line” flag, as they recognize that whatever it started out as, whatever the intent may be, it’s been fully co-opted by white supremacists.

10 Likes

IANAL. I don’t know if Fedex falls under mail carrier code but if so this person likely committed a crime:

18 U.S. Code § 1703 - Delay or destruction of mail or newspapers

(a)

Whoever, being a Postal Service officer or employee, unlawfully secretes, destroys, detains, delays, or opens any letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail entrusted to him or which shall come into his possession, and which was intended to be conveyed by mail, or carried or delivered by any carrier or other employee of the Postal Service, or forwarded through or delivered from any post office or station thereof established by authority of the Postmaster General or the Postal Service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(b)

Whoever, being a Postal Service officer or employee, improperly detains, delays, or destroys any newspaper, or permits any other person to detain, delay, or destroy the same, or opens, or permits any other person to open, any mail or package of newspapers not directed to the office where he is employed; or

Whoever, without authority, opens, or destroys any mail or package of newspapers not directed to him, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

10 Likes