Fireworks wrapper combines gun worship, right-wing Christianity, American flags, and patriotism

I’ve lived in Wisconsin for almost 20 years now. I’m really surprised this is the first time I’ve seen anything about this. I have Jump Around on my running list, and I do like it, so I’m going to have to try to forget I saw this. These people … they really don’t know the lyrics, do they?

2 Likes

They do it every home game. I’ve never been to a badger game, but apparently the stadium shakes from the crowd jumping. I’ve never paid attention to this songs lyrics.

4 Likes

I think a lot of people feel the same way. Nowadays it’s “Stars and stripes, just say yikes!”

Which is too bad. When I was a kid, the Bicentennial was probably the biggest event I can remember. The entire country was exhausted from the Vietnam War and Watergate, and needed a mental break. They painted every stationary object red, white, and/or star-spangled blue for the occasion, and anything that moved was draped in red, white, and blue bunting. It was exciting, and reasonably non-partisan! For the most part people got along with each other for a few years, I think mostly because everyone was sick of talking about politics and religion.

Bonzo’s co-star put a quick end to all that cooperation. The Great Divider made sure that his members of Congress didn’t cross the line, while claiming to get both sides to work together. That’s really when the pattern of republicans lying without consequence began to take hold. Ever since then, the national colors have been held hostage to mean exactly what those fireworks represent today, and it’s anything but patriotism.

11 Likes

Same experience this year for me in Hawaii. So quiet, in fact (in comparison to past holidays) . . . I’m puzzled as to why?

For when comic lyrics aren’t enough.

4 Likes

Saw these two in a fireworks store in South Dakota yesterday.

4 Likes

Are those … two dudes “bumpin’ Trumps” :confused:

2 Likes

I assume when the brandon cake is finished someone shouts it and then everyone toasts with their lite beers

2 Likes

Uh Oh Omg GIF by ESPN

3 Likes

Liverpool FC fans know all the lyrics to You’ll Never Walk Alone.

Hibernian fans know all the lyrics to Sunshine on Leith

And Wales fans know the lyrics to Cwm Rhondda

Come on people, you can do better!

We don’t really do the National Anthem or patriotic songs in sports games here in Britain, it’s only done before international games. Trying to sing God Save The Queen would be a really bad idea at Celtic Park on a Saturday afternoon, at best it would be drowned out by booing.

I was expecting the Status Quo song, being unfamiliar with which songs are sung at Boston Red Sox games

I should know better, I live with a Red Sox fan who saw them play at Fenway Park in her childhood.

5 Likes

yeah, they used to do “piano man” at met games last year. thankfully that faded out.

1 Like

what a nice post. until the last line. we meet at the statue of liberty at dawn, sir. bring your pizza.

1 Like

A lot of fireworks are made in China.

The under-contract Chinese factories that make these things (and will put odious wrappers on things if that is what they are paid to do) have humans with eyes and ears and brains who work there. What their impressions are is anyone’s guess.

The smoke from fireworks contains a lot of really ungroovy stuff for human health. All those pretty colors? Specific chemicals in the firework have to burn (oxidize) to make those colors. When the resulting particulates in the smoke are airborne, you breathe them into your body (as well as all the other living things in the area that breathe 'n stuff). It may be negligible damage to some (relatively healthy) people.

But.

According to an article published by the European Respiratory Society,[4] all fireworks contain carbon and sulfur, which are necessary for burning. In addition, during fireworks manufacture, a range of substances are added such as arsenic, manganese, sodium oxalate, aluminum, iron dust powder, potassium perchlorate, strontium nitrate and barium nitrate, which act as stabilizers, oxidizers and added colors. The burning of fireworks releases a large amount of air pollutants, particularly sulfur dioxide (SO2), carbon dioxide (CO2), carbon monoxide (CO), and particulate matter (PM) along with several metal salts, for example aluminum, manganese, and cadmium.

The colors of fireworks are the result of chemistry and physics made visible. Specifically, fireworks’ colors depend upon solid metal salts and chemical explosives (this is the chemistry part) that create colors when heated to the correct temperatures (this is the physics part).

Different metal compounds give different colors. For example, lithium (Li) salts produce pink, sodium (Na) salts make yellow or orange, copper (Cu) and barium (Ba) salts generate green or blue, and calcium (Ca) or strontium (Sr) give red.

During the explosion, these metal salts do not ‘burn up’. They are still metal atoms, and many of them are end up as aerosols that poison the air, the water and the soil. When inhaled or ingested, these metals can cause a huge variety of short- and long-term reactions, ranging from vomiting, diarrhea or asthma attacks, to kidney disease, cardiotoxic effects and a variety of cancers.

Who is actually having the last laugh here is an exercise I shall leave for the reader.

4 Likes

How about we just meet at Totonno’s. I’ll hop on the D train shortly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A handy graphic
cfe8d6af90138b22050f1b971433803c_width-600

14 Likes

I mean, sure, okay. But always remember that:

Measurable Effects ≠ Epidemiological Health Outcomes

Fireworks may be toxic, but if they are only used occasionally and only a very few people are exposed even then, it’s not likely to be something we need to lose sleep over. Everything is toxic if you drill down into the data far enough. That doesn’t mean it’s actually dangerous to a population.

There’s cyanide in apple seeds and bananas are radioactive, but neither of those are health concerns for the same reason. The dose makes the poison. I don’t think anyone is getting any measurable toxic metal salt exposure from a few fireworks shows per year.

The workers in the factories should probably be concerned, though.

3 Likes

Sadly, that’s how some up here in Canuckistan are feeling when seeing our flag, especially on trucks. It’s gonna be some time before I don’t automatically think “idiot” when I see such displays.

4 Likes

Yep.

The PubMed article specifically mentions the pyrotechnicians being more highly exposed. And babies and kids get a different [elevated] dose that adult humans do, also mentioned in that article.

Disclosure: Some in my fam (including me) have lung issues. For those of us differently lung-ed, even a bad air quality ozone day in a big city, or smoke from California fires blowing into Texas, or a heavy smog day like my honeymoon in Mexico City, can have us reaching for our inhalers. We do not love using those but hey, breathing without asthma attacks is our jam. We try to stay out of smoky stuff.

3 Likes

Also because the cyanide in apple seeds is produced by grinding or chewing them, and who does that? It makes them really bitter. The whole point is so you’ll leave the seeds alone.

Sorry, I know it doesn’t change your point, but the pedantic digressions thread is closed.

3 Likes

So when Camp Randall Stadium collapses, we’ll know why? Got it.

It’s not especially deep or anything, but there’s a strong tread of violence. More surprising, though, considering the crowd yelling along to the lyrics here are the lines referring to cops being numerous at Dunkin’ Donuts and “I never eat a pig, 'cause a pig is a cop.” The song isn’t explicitly anti-police, but may be a bit too close for what I think of as a typical sportball crowd.

1 Like