First trailer for 'Star Trek: Picard'

We know that in Gene’s universe, Earth is no longer a monetary society and within the Federation what trade there is between members is largely and mix of gifting as well as some bartering for goods and services.

2 Likes

“Gimme yer gold-pressed latinum or yer life!”

Finally found a trailer I could watch. It looks interesting.

But it’s not, though. The themes/stories were darker, but the point was that the Roddenberry optimism still won out in the end. Two of my favorite episodes illustrate that… first, Far Beyond the Stars showed how Benny Russell’s vision of the future won out in the end. Sisko is the captain of a major space station, regardless of his skin color. Then In the Pale Moonlight shows Sisko still believing in the federation and it’s mission, despite what he’s done with Garak. The whole point is that having a positive vision of the future can help people make better choices in the end.

6 Likes

For anyone who is visually impaired, here’s my audio described version of this trailer: https://youdescribe.org/video/eA-GJNebJj0?ad=5ce8baf7a774ac520ff93e42

For Star Wars fans, I also did an audio described version of the new Star Wars trailer: https://youdescribe.org/video/adzYW5DZoWs?ad=5cc6615b56b7f3071f306162

Both of these will probably be audio described when they are released, but the trailers aren’t - so I hope to help make the building up of excitement accessible as well!

7 Likes

Well I confess I didn’t see the later seasons because I went to college and didn’t have a TV. And certainly DS-9 wasn’t grim dark like the newer Discovery line. Sisko’s role was as a peace keeper and the conflict was around him. So while I still feel it it sort of nudged the franchise in the direction, you’re right it wasn’t devoid of optimism. I do remember that episode where they went back in time to Classic Trek was very cool. I also liked the characters for the most part, especially Sisko.

But yeah, I am not really down on DS9, I am down on Discovery for trying to Marvel/Star Wars up the Trek universe. While I can understand wanting to make a slicker, more modern product I think it failed to make it Trek. If you blur your eyes and pretend it isn’t supposed to be a Trek vehicle, I did like it on some of those levels.

Like I said earlier, the Orville is more like OS and TNG than any other Trek franchise since and I find it incredibly endearing (and fun to see the other Trek actors cameos.)

3 Likes

Liking, and also letting you know that the first one appears to be broken.

Welcome to the bbs!

2 Likes

Moon is a movie. I am about talking TV series. Preferably ones that have more than 3 seasons. Moon is a great story, it does combined a sociological question with a hero’s journey.

I don’t think it could be a TV series. At least not a very long one. I guess I could look at ST:Picard being a 6 episode movie. But that’s not a good reason for me to sign up for a streaming service…

Oh, you really, really should… the Dominion War seasons are the best part of the series, without a doubt. It’s still up on Netflix. It’s an opportunity to see the federation from the outside, to see world building outside the federation, and to see them try and tackle pretty weighty issues (war, terrorism, occupation and it’s aftermath, etc).

Again… dominion war seasons…

Until he ends up on the front lines and has to wrestle with everything that goes with it. He moves from being pretty cynical at the beginning of the series to being much more in line with the Roddenberry vision of the future, I’d argue. Sisko is hands down the best captain after Picard.

As for Discovery, I do like it, and I do think that it has the same wrestling with the idealism that DS9 had, I’d argue (or it was for the first season, which is what I’ve seen). Burnham fully believes in the ideals of the federation and is seeking to make sure that doesn’t fail. But I can see how people wouldn’t agree.

3 Likes

Some of the greatest shows on TV lasted 3 seasons or less (including the original run of Star Trek), and I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. I think a limited run/miniseries focusing on Picard could work great.

2 Likes

Thanks @john_c! I should have mentioned that YouDescribe doesn’t work on mobile (except through an iPhone app), so that might be the problem you are running into. The links seem to be working on my computer :slight_smile:

I’ve come around to that thinking as well. It might not be the next great star trek TV series.

You know, The Expanse, and Westworld has spoiled me with excellent writing. Full seasons of ST:TNG had sloppy writing.

Yes please!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.