Flesh eating bacteria that causes genitals to "rot away" pops up in the UK

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/22/flesh-eating-bacteria-that-cau.html

6 Likes

Back in my day, we just called it Hurdy Gurdy Man’s itch.

20 Likes

Listen up folks: The destructive nature of donovanosis also increases the risk of superinfection by other pathogenic microbes.

3 Likes

Protip duly noted.

8 Likes

Oh well. The lunch I had packed for today wasn’t an especially tasty one anyway.

14 Likes

Damn, beat me to it.

My mother always said he was like Dylan, but without the, well, you know.

3 Likes

infect[ing] the skin around the genitals, groin or anal area and causes lesions and skin disintegration as the flesh effectively consumes itself…

…but it’s not being diagnosed because people figure it’s nothing, probably clear up in a few days.

2 Likes

These days it might make sense to call it Tindervitis.

8 Likes

disease called Donovanosis

Caps? Is it a brand name?

Why get the boring old flu when you can contract Flu!

1 Like

They capitalize Cancer, AIDS and HIV… and those aren’t ‘brands’ that anyone would ever willingly “purchase.”

Protip: the English language is weird.

4 Likes

Donovanosis, huh?
I’ve always fancied that one day, something would be named after me, but…

2 Likes

Well, I was going to research Donovanosis to see if it is named after someone or some place that justifies the capitalization, but then I decided I really don’t want to go down the possibly photo-filled rabbit hole :open_mouth:

AIDS and HIV, on the other hand, are initializations, which are something that we generally capitalize.

3 Likes

Ebola.

Zika.

I reiterate; English is weird.

3 Likes

And this is showing up in a country that has a sane healthcare system.

I’m always putting off going to the doctor because of our fucked up healthcare system in the US.

… I’m not pleased with this news. Time to head home, lock the doors and hope for the best.

Click!

5 Likes

Cancer isn’t capitalized. AIDS and HIV are acronyms which play by different rules.

2 Likes

I thought this was a quip about Nigel Farage. He’s popped up here again, rot him.

2 Likes

I want to have a word with whoever’s writing the script for this timeline. They’ve gone from exaggerating for effect to just plain nasty.

4 Likes

Color me wishing that I hadn’t even fucking bothered to comment.

3 Likes

First there was a penis, then there was no penis, then there (oh, wait …)

5 Likes

Juanita used to be Juan until it was gone.

3 Likes