Florida governor DeSantis says the state is reopening Monday

pose-pray-greaaat

Hang in there, Jefe!

7 Likes

Essential workers are redshirts (and blueshirts.) Security and engineering personnel did their essential jobs in sometimes hazardous conditions. So did medical personnel who wore blue in the original series.

Donā€™t call the people demanding the states open up redshirts. Theyā€™re not. With apologies to Armin Shimerman, Max GrodĆ©nchik, and Aron Eisenberg (Quark, Rom, and Nog were somewhat atypical compared to the rest of their species) people putting the economy (profit) above all else (including peoplesā€™ lives) are Ferengi.

4 Likes

Citation needed.

Could you please provide where these figures came from? Because the Australian ones are inaccurate. As of 5 hours ago, just past midnight on May 1 2020, the Australian Government website was showing 6753 confirmed cases and 91 deaths. And as an Australian, I can assure you 87 did not die of Covid-19 overnight.

Edited to add: sorry, itā€™s early, I missed that the quoted figures were per million. So the covid-19 deaths per million Australians may be correct. Iā€™d still like to know where the numbers came from though.

1 Like

Agreed. A friend went to Harvard and even though he is bookish and highly nerdy (ie very capable of keeping himself interested and occupied), he said it was a very lonely place. In his estimation people were either extreme introverts, workaholics or the bluecoats hungry for power and money.

He has also published some highly regarded board games, so Iā€™m going to shamelessly plug them:

4 Likes

Those were numbers per million.

When your electorate have been trying to get their unemployment benefits and have realized that your political party is why they cannot? Killing them off seems politically expedient.

3 Likes

Yep, got it, thanks. I edited my post. Because itā€™s 5.30am here, I havenā€™t slept and Iā€™ve been working since 4.30am!

1 Like

@Bob_Brinkman - One would hope thatā€™s not the case. Sadly - I expect a significant % of these people will believe anything their establishment tells them. DeSantorum will probably just blame someone else and things will carry on as usual.

1 Like

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

2 Likes

Beautiful. That is the first time Iā€™ve seen that one. One word that speaks volumes. Thank you CongenitalOptimist, and thanks to Dan Savage, yes?

4 Likes

Oooh, Iā€™m following. They also have similar attitudes about the rights of women.

2 Likes

Japanā€™s ā€œalmost success storyā€ in Hokkaido. With an amazingly low infection rate, the local government lifted restrictions. And then the ā€œOhā€¦ Shit!ā€ happened.

Not like DeSantis is one to look for precautionary examples elsewhere, I guess.

3 Likes

@FloridaManJefe - feel free to proliferate it at will and at no cost. Struck me as suitable given the state of things in Florida right now. Hope you guys come out of this ok.

1 Like

Whatever happens when an immovable freedom meets an unstoppable freedom.

1 Like

I found this cheatsheet helpful:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.