Florida man goes ape over $4 bundt cake coupon, may lose $204,000 job

We all, as Americans, have freedom of speech.

None of us have freedom from the consequences of said speech. It’s an important distinction.

4 Likes

True. I had a similar thought when looking at the price of cake (per slice) in my local diner. In another life, I would bake and sell cakes for fun and profit!

2 Likes

Mmmm. Maybe because small children and politicians will both pitch a fit if they don’t get their cake? And in this case… it’s an actual cake the politician is “going ape” over.

1 Like

If this guy was POTUS this would be the least firable offense. Sometimes I think that people just take their anger at Drumpf out on anyone who seems a wee bit entitled.

May I remind you that you are entitled to that belief?

But I can still answer you here.

2 Likes

I suspect you may want to research how long he has had this job.

There is some nuance there. Just there, between those lines.

Nuance there too.

Good thing this was about cake shop, not a china shop.

1 Like

If you wish to make a Bundt cake from scratch, you must first invent Rose Joshua, Fannie Schanfield, and H. David Dahlquist.

[You can use a mix or make it from scratch, make it any flavor cake you want—what makes a cake a Bundt cake is simply the shape of the pan it’s baked in.]

from Wikipedia

Bundt cakes do not conform to any single recipe; instead, their characterizing feature is their shape.

Since the name “Bundt” is a trademark, similar pans are often sold as “fluted tube pans” or given other similar descriptive titles.

The people credited with popularizing the Bundt cake are American businessman H. David Dalquist and his brother Mark S. Dalquist[citation needed], who co-founded cookware company Nordic Ware based in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. In the late 1940s,[11] Rose Joshua and Fannie Schanfield, friends and members of the Minneapolis Jewish-American Hadassah Society approached Dalquist asking if he could produce a modern version of a traditional cast iron Gugelhupf dish.[2] Dalquist and company engineer Don Nygren designed a cast aluminum version which Nordic Ware then made a small production run of in 1950. In order to successfully trademark the pans, a “t” was added to the word “Bund”.[5] A number of the original Bundt pans now reside in the Smithsonian collection.[13]

There’s a personal Minnesota connection, of course. I don’t own a Bundt pan, but I live in Minneapolis—and St. Louis Park, where Nordic Ware (the manufacturer of Bundt pans) is located, is a first-ring suburb. One time I was bicycling home from a meeting in Golden Valley, another first-ring suburb, on a part of our bike-trail system that I’d never been on before.

I rode south on the Kenilworth Trail and made a turn onto the Greenway, and pedaled for a while…and pedaled…curiously, the crowd of bikers on the trails thinned until I was the only one…and instead of me coming into familiar city neighborhoods, slowly the landscape around me turned into open fields. I knew I wasn’t in Minneapolis, but I didn’t have a map of the trail system with me, and I had no idea what wrong turn I had taken or where I actually was.

Suddenly, there before me, rising out of the level fields, was Nordic Ware’s headquarters and manufacturing plant, with the Peavey–Haglin Experimental Concrete Grain Elevator with the Nordic Ware logo painted on it:

Peavey%E2%80%93Haglin_Experimental_Concrete_Grain_Elevator

“Nordic Ware!!! Oh thank goodness, I’m in St Louis Park!!!” And I knew that all I had to do was turn around and head east.

It seems silly now—the distances aren’t all that much, and I just needed to turn around and go back the way I had come—but lost in the middle of nowhere then, I felt like Nordic Ware had truly saved me :grinning:

So even though I’ve never baked a Bundt cake, I feel kindly toward them.

[And where was the sun that day? Didn’t I know I was biking west instead of east? Must have been a stressful meeting, maybe, or a cloudy day, I guess]

4 Likes

Well count yourself lucky to read a story at all.

Me neither. All I got was: “Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.”
I could suggest some “technical compliance solutions” that take 2 nanoseconds to implement, if they are interested… it’s just utter bollocks for anyone to be hiding behind this sort of shit at this point.

(And apologies to anyone who may have pointed this out above. 70+ posts is too many to check…)

The actual article isn’t any more illuminating. Apparently what he did was of sufficient severity to have the store owner complain to the city council, but any details of what he actually did are left out. So you’re not really missing anything that Boingboing didn’t cover.

Sadly, I’m guessing that small, regional US newspapers don’t really care about non-US readers sufficiently to do any of the work required to be compliant.

1 Like

Angel food cake mix is worth it, just so you don’t have to make something else to use up the egg yolks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just wanted to laugh at the very idea of pitching a fit over a cake coupon.

3 Likes

Yeah, right.

But local US ‘papers’ hardly need any foreign eyeballs for their probably totally parochial adverts. Still no excuse for actively deterring eyeballs, when accepting them takes pretty much zero work, much less ‘technical compliance solutions’.

Well, they likely don’t want to fall afoul of European data protection laws, which they probably would be violating because they’re likely tracking the heck out of readers, and they don’t want to change the way they do things. The whole “technical compliance” thing is a bit of a red herring, really - it’s likely not a technical issue at all.

2 Likes

My point, exactly!
It’s easy - tell us we’re being tracked and let us opt in/out, or just stop tracking eyeballs from European IP addresses. Whatever minimal credibility the Sun Sentinel might have had (who knows? But with none of the details available in the actual reporting, it seems …) it certainly has a lot less now.
Hey-ho.

3 Likes

did the store owner complain to the council? I didn’t see that detail in the story.

the council took action, yes. That we do know. The official in question isn’t disputing the action or the validity of it, is the official?

As stories go, it’s no home run. More of a bundt.

I’m curious… is this because an anonymous non reader has slagged them off online? Because nothing is credible if that’s the standard.

I am not entirely certain what your question is (what your “this” actually refers to - that it ‘might have had’ minimal credibility before, or that it has less now) but this anonymous non-reader:

• has been told by others that the paper’s reporting on this topic leaves something to be desired (see other earlier posts) to put it mildly
  • has been told by the paper itself that it would need some ‘technical compliance solutions’ to let me read it while located in Europe (utter bullshit, of course)

And, yes, this results in the paper having less credibility with me as a result, than it might even have had beforehand.

1 Like