Florida man pulls gun, racial slurs on kids in street argument

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/22/florida-man-pulls-gun-racial.html

3 Likes

I can’t wait for people to start explaining that the gun was not a gun, the slurs were not slurs, the kids were not really kids, and that the video doesn’t show the man three hours earlier when he was peacefully sleeping and not threatening people.

44 Likes

Wouldn’t assault imply that he fired the gun?

Either way, this guy seems like a dangerous individual. For someone with this little qualms about threatening people with a gun, having it already out before he could possibly know what was going on, it probably won’t take much to actually fire it.

4 Likes

“An armed society is a polite society”

Strange how his gun didn’t make him more polite. Was it defective?

32 Likes

Not necessarily. Fire the gun and its maybe aggravated assault and discharging firearms in public. Wave it about and it’s assault and brandishing or improper exhibition. God knows what Florida actually does with these words, though.

26 Likes

Florida man strikes again!

3 Likes

It was explained to me that waving your fist around in a threatening fashion is assault, landing the blow is battery. Not sure how that translates to firearms, though.

7 Likes

An armed society is a dangerous society.

8 Likes

From Florida’s web-based law database:

784.011 Assault.—

(1) An “assault” is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.

I checked Canada’s law because I thought that required actual touching, but it also includes threatening someone if they reasonably believe you’ll harm them. It doesn’t match our current colloquial definition of the word “assault” but the law is probably based on what the word would have commonly meant in 16th century England.

At any rate, I think the commissioner has it right: The person committing the assault in the film is going to eventually escalate from pointing guns at people to pulling the trigger.

10 Likes

Castle Doctrine - dude owns the effin world.

8 Likes

For instance, someone chasing another person down the street with a knife out is an “assault”, even if no one was stabbed or touched.

It’s the situational combo of “This jerk’s telling me they want to hurt me” with “This guy really could hurt me!”

5 Likes

Like we needed another reason tho avoid Florida.

5 Likes

Why aren’t there any news stories about the kids he didn’t threaten? Thousands of them - why he’s almost a saint!

12 Likes

Another proud member of the Well Regulated Militia. It’s heated arguments like this that make me think that thousands of lives would be saved from heated arguments that escalate if there were less “responsible gun owners”. Certainly there would be more living victims of domestic abuse.

8 Likes
8 Likes

51 years old?
And - didn’t bother to get a carry permit in Florida? Wonder if there’s a reason he couldn’t. You basically just have to be alive to get one there.

8 Likes

The Youtube video has no sound. Wonder why?

1 Like

No, it’s only quiet because the person shooting video didn’t have the presence of mind to roll down the window.

11 Likes

Yeah, I would have guessed that crime would have a different name. (I’m sure it actually has several other names and you could be charged with more than one of them)

And a more living people who had suicidal thoughts one night. People make bad decisions.

5 Likes