Florida reports a massive surge in new covid-19 cases

All I’m saying is what the same models that are predicting all this doom and gloom now say the inevitable end is. You have an issue with that, take it up with the model makers, not me. Exponential growth wipes out hosts from being able to transmit it again, and the incubation + incidence times of this are so fast that an exponential growth burns it out fast.

Don’t really know what the models say about knock on effects. Just that the primary effects will be quick.

1 Like

Does it confer immunity for three months? Six months? Nine? A year? Three years? Forever?

That would be an important qualifier for “It will be over…”

14 Likes

Good questions, we don’t know. Even if the science was showing good signs, the minimum time to get a study done and paper written for the questions are a matter of 8 to 10 months, and verifiability would take longer. This thing’s only really been a thing for right around 9 months.

4 Likes

The quick brown FOX jumped over the lazy dog.

7 Likes

No, the media was not saying that heat and humidity would wipe it out - Dolt 45 did, in February! “It looks like by April, you know in theory, when it gets a little warmer, [it] miraculously goes away — I hope that’s true.” Every epidemiologist was saying that action needed to be taken immediately.

10 Likes

Is willingly being a floridaman or floridawoman considered a PEC that you will later exclude coverage to, or is that just a consideration into the rate?

(there’s a policy price for a million dollar home that you know is going to burn down tomorrow as an insurance CEO I unfortunately once knew once said…)

The insane thing is I can actually see it working. It will cost untold misery but the American economy will chug along while most people aren’t social distancing and once a critical threshold is reached the US will be one of the few countries with a mostly immune society (those that have survived). Other countries are thinking of their people before their economy which is why we will have to live in quarantine for longer but won’t lose as many of our loved ones.

Unregulated capitalism. It makes sense. For the few. In a weird, fucked-up way.

3 Likes

Just wait until three weeks from now when the bodies start to pile up.

1 Like

Other countries seem to have a different, and clearly better, definition of “flattening the curve”. Our curve seems exceptionally bad.

Via Trevor Noah

10 Likes

“It’s a cooked book!”

17 Likes

Did Florida really do their best to close off, I mean really did they exercise an abundance of caution?

Are these models you speak of from March? April?
Lots of new data in and the the end “isn’t” here yet. I’ve resigned to the fact that I’ll be wearing a mask at work/stores indefinitely until a vaccine is developed. Also open to the possibility of a relapse in business closures if people don’t start trying their best to keep this all under control.

8 Likes

Curve looks pretty flat to me… on the vertical axis.

9 Likes

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

3 Likes

And because there will be fewer deaths in this age range, driving down the overall death %, the usual idiots will proclaim that this proves they were right all along and it’s not as bad as the alarmists said it was.

29p9bk

5 Likes

That requires a lot of things to be true that at least preliminary studies (the only kind we have right now) suggest are not. That mild or asymptomatic cases confer immunity, that said immunity is long-lasting, what percentage of the population must be immune to confer herd immunity, assuming the first two factors even allow for herd immunity, what fraction of nonfatal cases result in significant long-term morbidity further stressing a medical system never designed for this kind of thing. In short, I do not trust the models currently in play because we do not have sufficient information to make a functional model. What we can, and must, do is continue to flatten the curve as much as possible. There is no other rational option at this point in time. Unfortunately for the U.S., our leaders are most decidedly not rational, and that will result in a staggering death toll.

30 Likes

Yep. No alcohol served in a bars just ain’t right. :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t think 500,000+ deaths that are going to be the result of unregulated capitalism “makes sense”, in any way, fucked-up or otherwise.

And, it’s not even “unregulated capitalism”-- it’s the unregulated narcissism of our current president.

I’m confused as to your logic. Other countries are more careful, so they have higher casualties? I think you have it backwards. The red states are ending their quarantines, the red states are being less careful, the red states are incurring higher casualties.

1 Like

an 80% infection rate and long term immunity is necessary for herd immunity. the number of deaths that means is in the millions. you can’t have millions of people die without economic catastrophe and serious emotional strife.

we won’t be a “mostly immune” society, we’ll be a society where europe is doing airlifts of food so that people aren’t starving in the streets.

the only way out of this is to lock down hotspots now, force everyone to wear masks, ramp up testing and contact tracing. not tommorow or next week, but literally right now

if people are still dragging their feet on basic safety measures, there’s a very real chance that the america of next year will look nothing like the america of last year.

i can’t say it enough: millions dead. there’s nothing absolutely nothing good about this.

18 Likes
10 Likes

Don’t read the comments on the YouTube video if you want to avoid psychic brain damage. Most of the commenters see nothing wrong with it, and the original poster is convinced that there was nothing unsafe about it either.

1 Like