Florida sheriff announces old-time punishments like disfigurement are back for school kids

I’m wondering how the sheriff and his acolytes will respond when an administrator tries to beat a kid, and the kid stands their ground and shoots the admin in self defense.

4 Likes

Well that’s good. It’s always good to hear someone in his position speak out agai…

What’s that? “Announces”? Really? Not…“Denounces”…?

Angry Aubrey Plaza GIF by Parks and Recreation

12 Likes

Season 1 Reaction GIF by Paramount+

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I mean capitalism? Soon, teachers will be receiving amazon links to the latest instructor-beat-student-asses tools. Which are also items the catholic school everywhere use to readily have (and happily use).

The opposite of progressive.

Also, my mother-in-law clearly remembers being slapped in the hand while a youth at school. Sick business seeing this being pushed again, no doubt influenced by religious conservative folk.

Not fair, cops get impunity the rest of us get chapped butts.

I mean, once in a while i wouldn’t turn a good spanking down, but not when the heart of the spanker is in the wrong place.

Seriously, what is their plan? Do they have booty spanking quotas? School issued paddles? Spank rooms? Union teacher spank teach-ins?

5 Likes

IIRC some year ago a Christian school in the UK was found to possess “rulers” specially designed for corporal punishment. Needless to say they had been imported from the USA.

3 Likes

Did it have an emblem of a cross on it?

2 Likes

I’ve no idea.

1 Like
3 Likes

Not to take away shame from Florida–because they deserve it–but corporal punishment is still legal in 19 states, if this info is correct: Discipline in schools: What you should know about corporal punishment – 104.5 WOKV

I grew up in the 80s in rural PA, and I don’t know if it was legal there or not, but corporal punishment was used regardless. Even if it was illegal, anecdotal evidence (my friends’ parents) had no problem with their children getting hit in school “when they deserved it.”

There were no quotas, but teachers brought their own paddles. They were often customized. For example, the art teacher opted for a thick slab of cherry wood “for strength” (they would explain things like this to us when they threatened us), while the gym teacher traded surface area for speed by drilling holes in his. The punishers and punishees were overwhelmingly male, but there was a nontrivial number of female teachers who participated with glee. Offenses that merited a “paddling” (or a “crack,” as the teachers often referred to it) were completely arbitrary. I remember one instance in middle school (5th grade, probably) where a student got up in the cafeteria without permission, and the gym teacher hit him twice. It would have only been once, but the kid flinched, so she insisted on hitting him a second time, just to make sure he was completely in tears.

Good times, good times.

8 Likes

It’s an honour just to be nominated.

3 Likes

the simpsons paddle GIF

8 Likes

Yep. In 1970’s Tennessee they called it “The Board of Education.” I tried to keep a low profile in grade school, but the one time I got “a whipping” was when some little fucker shoved me backwards over a chair. I didn’t do shit, we both got “licks,” me first. The teacher missed his ass, whacked him in the leg, said “that one doesn’t count” and whacked his ass. He bawled in pain.

It is child abuse, full stop.

12 Likes

Not only is it straight up abuse, it isn’t even effective as a deterrent.

5 Likes

What about paddling the school canoe?

2 Likes

You’d better believe that’s a paddling.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.