Florida teen apologies for grammatically incorrect sign that was also racist

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/24/florida-teen-apologies-for-gra.html

3 Likes

He’s clearly a horrible human being but the word “WHITE” does appear to be spelled correctly in that photo.

5 Likes

The invitation was met with a heart-eyed emoji from the recipient.

I think that’s a yes but I’m not an expert in new-speak. These young folks with their emoji-thing-a-me-bobs…

Did the school at least make him write out a grammatically correct version of the placard one hundred times?

3 Likes

never has this been more relevant…

floridabb

19 Likes

I think the grammatical error is that he should have used “were” rather than “was”. Of course, the real problem is that he has the sign at all…

16 Likes

WRITE may be a typo, because there is indeed a grammatical problem contained in the third word which should be “were.”

The word were replaces was in sentences that express a wish or are contrary to fact:

Example: If Joe were here, you’d be sorry.

Shouldn’t Joe be followed by was, not were, given that Joe is singular? But Joe isn’t actually here, so we say were, not was. The sentence demonstrates the subjunctive mood, which is used to express things that are hypothetical, wishful, imaginary, or factually contradictory.

This is all part of the Florida Man franchise, right? Son of Florida Man?

9 Likes

If I was a thinking man I’d pick the was/were, but I’m not so I pick the question mark? And the kerning. And the sentiment. In no particular order?

6 Likes

Yeah, I don’t use that word in that way, “concerning.”

1 Like

Uh, shouldn’t the title have “apologizes” instead of “apologies”?

12 Likes

That’s the standard boilerplate for, “I remember when these little shits acting up was only my problem between 8:45 and 4:15”.

4 Likes

FTFY. Teenagers are not fully developed human beings. They have poor judgment and impulse control.

8 Likes

Selfish social perception is a curious thing, having lived too long i would’ve emphatically stated until quite recently (possibly anytime pre-trump) that racism was apparently on a monotonic - if slow - decline from my childhood onwards, (~Archie_Bunker era being some-sort of discontinuity toward decline). These days force me to think that i was utterly naive, living in some sort of urban bubble, and, so sadly it appears that the prevalent racism of the sixties hasn’t significantly diminished and it was only in hiding. There is still hope that a renewed drive for better education will infuse some reality into rose-colored perception, but a whole lot more directed effort is required (exactly the sort lacking in any trump-world) -sigh-

6 Likes

I’ll go as far as “he’s a horrible human being who may yet have time to develop into a decent human being, but only if he owns his mistakes and makes significant changes to his behavior.”

27 Likes

Ah, soon to graduate up to Florida man.

4 Likes

10 Likes

Muphry’s law

9 Likes

I know plenty of teenagers, and many of them are perfectly aware that what the kid said was a racist statement.

21 Likes

Can someone point out to me the part of the article that discusses the apology?

1 Like

And the stencil? I think that one was designed to be spray painted, not traced.

1 Like

Future tRump Cabinet pick.

5 Likes