Florida teen apologies for grammatically incorrect sign that was also racist

God damn it… hire an editor. If you’re going to pick on racist kid’s grammar at least fucking correctly quote his sign.

2 Likes

In the Huffington Post story:

Crowley reportedly apologized on social media Monday morning, saying it was not his intention to offend anyone.
″Anyone who knows me … knows that that’s not how we truly feel,” he said, according to local station WTSP. “It was a completely [sic] joke and it went too far.
“After reading the texts and Snapchat’s, I truly see how I have offended people and I’m sorry.”

Quotation formatting as in original.

4 Likes

I don’t mind the other stuff half as much as I do the missing definite article.

If anyone wants me, I’m going to beach.

3 Likes

Sadly, I don’t think anyone important is listening here when we beach about typos and such.

8 Likes

It’s not even a tpyo anymore.

2 Likes

Sand on a beach, I think your write!

7 Likes

I wouldn’t count “was” vs. “were” as being grammatically incorrect these days. The subjunctive mood in English is mostly going away and becoming a relic like “who” vs. “whom,” which is typically only used as a cudgel to beat up people who don’t have the “correct” grammar training.

But the kid is indubitably a shithead.

4 Likes

Oh geez. Okay. Thanks. I haven’t been on Boingboing for a while and I’m remembering now why I stopped frequenting it. That just feels super sloppy to me. If the post is about the apology as the headline indicates, maybe include something about the apology in the post?

1 Like

You sound… disappointed.

11 Likes

Not only is his sign racist, it is factually antiquated. Cotton is no longer picked by hand.

8 Likes

True. But people do still use the intensifier “cotton picking,” as in, “You need to get that cotton-pickin’ idiot to stop jerking you around like that!” (Not that I mean to excuse this kid’s racist sign.)

I’ve pointed out the racist origins of the term to people who use it, but never to anyone who appreciated my doing so.

6 Likes

This is so weird. I hadn’t heard the word “cotton-pickin” in a really long time, feels like years.

But, just today, at work, our service tech used it (he is like pushing 70 years old, so I didn’t really give it a second thought).

And now, it comes up in your comment. If I hear it a third time today, I am calling conspiracy. :wink:

5 Likes

Florida man in the making.

2 Likes

…and yet this was your choice of words, If you spend your time being an edgelord it don’t matter if you really didn’t mean it. You are what your pretend to be.

Let’s hope he learned something.

4 Likes

Brilliant. But what’s it say in the top left corner??!

1 Like

Someone retouched the picture a bit to their liking.

2 Likes

The subjunctive mood is one of those grammar constructions that will fade into obscurity simply because people don’t bother any more, or feel that’s at all distinctive enough to matter.
Then, 2nd conditional sentences will just be ‘past simple’ for ‘who knows’ what reason, and ‘I wish you would stop that’ will become a thing that no one will notice as ‘weird’ and overly complicated.
So, yeah.
’Suggest ya’ll brush up on your Subjunctive mood.
* not even a native speaker, but grammar fascist by heart

2 Likes

You think he will make the age limit inside the next six months?

That machine is pretty dumb though, so maybe the sign is actually politically correct (except WRT skin jobs) and factually correct.

I not sure they [tRump] care…

1 Like