Florida woman wildly fires gun in the general direction of dognappers

Wow, not even looking, just firing at random, some of the shots aimed up at almost a 45 degree angle.

On top of that, the dudes had already run away. What was she defending? They weren’t coming at her, they were going the other way. Surely even in a ‘stand your ground’ state firing in the general direction of people (and dogs) who are running away from you doesn’t really qualify.

13 Likes

“The woman is not facing charges, investigators say she was protecting her home.”

Holy fuck. Well there’s everything that’s wrong with American gun culture in a nutshell. I mean, she obviously wasn’t, based on the video. She was shooting wildly in the vague direction of people who were already fleeing her home (so no protection was going on), and in a way that meant a bunch of her neighbors got bullets in their houses, at the very least.

It’s not just her aim that’s the problem here, but everything about her gun use. That the cops decided, despite the evidence, that she was a “good guy with a gun” is yet another problem.

Yeah, there’s no argument to be made that she was “defending her home” at that point - they were already fleeing. She was just shooting up the neighborhood.

Basically what this says to me is that as far as Florida cops are concerned, wildly firing your gun in public with no concern for human life is not an issue.

28 Likes

My guess is that they are welcoming the chance to set a new legal precedent, making it legal to shoot a fleeing intruder.
The combination of a woman shooter and a bunch of cute puppies was just the PR angle they needed.

12 Likes

It’s already part of “stand your ground,” really - at least, if you manage to kill the other person. I.e. you can be in your home and see someone walking on the sidewalk and decide, for no good reason, to come charging out of your house with your gun and attack them, and then kill them, even if they were fleeing, and that’s considered perfectly fine. (Especially if you’re white and they’re not.)

3 Likes

Levy county. /s

2 Likes

I’m still utterly convinced she was in fact a responsible dog owner, but how big was the dog, what range did it have, what’s the muzzle strength, is it on a special diet or can I load it myself and is there a cheaper version if I just want to make some noise with my own but definitely not ever intend to hurt anyone with it?

10 Likes

“A woman selling exotic dogs”

Screw this dog breeder. If it was someone stealing a family pet instead of someone breeding pit bulls she would have my sympathy. I’m surprised she didn’t shoot out the back window of her car when she was firing blindly.

6 Likes

Hold up.

Is that reporter the same guy as this?

4 Likes

Or, as she did, you just duck, stick the gun above a car and shoot all over the place.

6 Likes

I agree she was just shooting up the neighborhood, but they were definitely returning fire.

2 Likes

Pugnacious woman.

That is unfortunate wording.

15 Likes

not all of us. i think they all should be gathered up and put in the crusher. i was almost killed by a stray bullet that struck and lodged in the window frame of my car as i was driving. 2 inches further south and i would have taken it in the head. random shot. went to the police, cop digs the bullet out of the frame, said oh yeah, you were lucky, man – that’s was it. i hate guns.

11 Likes

This is a textbook example of why owning a gun greatly increases your chances of dying from a gunshot. It’s not just that you might shoot yourself, it’s also that by having a gun you’re more likely to put yourself in a situation where someone else shoots you.

9 Likes

Vonnegut’s Deadeye Dick

Agreed.

21 Likes

Yup, that’s what I’ve always seen (in the movies, anyway). Whoever poses the biggest threat gets targeted first. So you better be good, raining potshots all over the neighborhood with your eyes closed. She got lucky.

2 Likes

Used the wrong kind of treats. Who can blame her?

2 Likes

And lots of minor holes in everything else.

3 Likes

Most American headline of the day!

4 Likes

It’s not really relevant given that if she had stayed in her home and not chased after them, firing, they wouldn’t have been firing either. If you go out of your way to put yourself in conflict with someone, a claim of self-defense doesn’t really fly.

2 Likes