Ford and Spielberg to revive Indiana Jones, again

7 Likes

I once made an epic Halloween costume out of a blue vest, flannel shirt, and an LED/small pancake battery concealed under a band-aid on my palm. A little eye-pencil for hash marks and BAM instant Rory.

4 Likes

I watched them as a teen, and rewatched in my 20’s. I still find them charming as a thirty something, but slightly diminishing returns.

2 Likes

Maybe they compliment the Star Trek: Original Series movies. There, only the even numbered ones are good. Here, the odd ones are good. Maybe? Maybe? Please? {crosses fingers without much hope}

1 Like

Screw the cynicism I’m going to see this.

3 Likes

Oh, I disagree. Indy’s such a great character, and he must have had many lifetimes’ worth of adventures. As much as I feel Basil Rathbone was my favorite Sherlock Holmes, I wouldn’t have dreamed of denying the world Peter Cushing’s version, or Christopher Lee’s, or Nicol Williamson’s, or Benedict Cumberbatch’s. Ian McKellen’s recent turn in Mr Holmes just about broke my heart.

Gimme more Indy! I’m not terribly particular about who is cast (let’s face it, it’s more charisma than actual talent required here) as long as the script ain’t stupid.

8 Likes

My interest in Indiana Jones has only ever gone so far as Karen Allen. She’s the one who deserved a spinoff franchise.

2 Likes

What, no love for Kate Capshaw’s Willie Scott?

Nope, me neither.

6 Likes

So no Lucas involvement? :wink:

As far as actors go, I’d rather see someone like, say, Chris Pratt doing the job (if he wasn’t already playing similar roles in two other franchises) than another attempt at a geriatric torch passing type job (especially if the torch is meant to be passed to Shia Le Boeuf). A few years ago Brendan Fraser’s Mummy films were basically the same kind of film too.

But hell, I’ll probably watch this when it’s on DVD, at least.

3 Likes

He’d be a bit tough for me to take seriously as a professor of archaeology. A tad too wink-wink-nudge-nudge. I just thought of a few of Tom Hardy’s reactions from Fury Road and thought yeah… he could do Indy.

As much as I like Brendan Fraser, I haaate his Mummy movies. But he might have made a halfway-decent Indy, except I don’t think he’s scruffy enough.

And even though I don’t think the world needs another Ford-starring Indy movie (especially after the wasted last one), I’ll still go see it. Especially if Lucas stays away from it.

5 Likes

It took seeing Dr Strange for me to realize I dont actually detest Cumerbatch, I just detest his Sherlock.

2 Likes

No love for Tony Stark or Crash Override?

Certainly none for Tony Stark. Completely miscast.

3 Likes

I think it’s tough because Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, and Sherlock Holmes already existed (in the mind) long before any actor played him. It feels perfectly natural that different actors would play Holmes over the years, but someone else playing Indiana Jones feels wrong - except maybe River Phoenix.

Do I wish there were more Jones films - yes. We got three, and they are all great, in their own ways. Will new ones ever, possibly, be good… my feeling is no. The Indy films have so much physical heft to them. People are just not making movies the same way now - the medium has changed (at least for action/adventure movies). Ironically, it may be Spielberg himself to blame for this - always trying to top himself, never stopping to think if he should. E.g. Jurassic Park, a restrained masterpiece, compared to The Lost World.

My hope would be for new heroes in a similar context. Punching Nazis will never get old, but Harrison Ford did, so give us new 1930s and 1940s intellectual rogues who hate Nazis. There were more than one in real life. You will never get the same depth - by which I mainly mean all of the wonderful surrounding characters - if you’re not forced to think of new ones instead of relying on the old ones. We know it’s possible because we have Inglorious Basterds - though something more relatively family-friendly would be better for an Indy replacement.

Tom Hardy could be great. He’s not Indiana Jones, but a related character written specifically for Hardy would be a lot of fun. I would rather not see Chris Pratt in any serious movie - and yes I realize Indy films are not exactly “serious” - you just can’t take him even remotely seriously, ever. When he tries to be serious, it’s even worse.

Splice in young Ford a la Fisher in Rogue One so the new characters can cross paths with Indy. Hell, even Cushing him in - by the time this movie gets made, the technology will be even better.

I honestly do understand why people keep choosing LeBeouf for things - there’s something about him. He isn’t really appropriate for this setting, though. He was OK in Fury but not great, though he did do a good job of fitting in (the problems may have been more with the writing than with his performance).

It’d be risky, but there must be unknowns out there who would be amazing as a new Indy-esque character. And I don’t mean someone who fits the current actor trend in Hollywood of Andrew Garfield-esque skinny dudes with Andrew Garfield-esque voices (I don’t dislike Andrew Garfield, just all the other actors like him). Someone with real charisma and physical presence - and not because they’re just totally ripped, either. Then pull in some relatively-unknown-in-America-but-great British actors for the other roles, like they did in the original Indy movies (and Star Wars for that matter).

edit: give us non-white and non-male Indy-esque characters too

4 Likes

Yes. Give us new stories with different perspectives and actors instead of recycling the same ones over and over. So tired of “nostalgic” reboots and sequels.

4 Likes

I do. He’s as dull as ditchwater. Much like Henry Cavill.

Well, I didn’t say I liked him particularly, I just don’t dislike him :slight_smile: - I just hate what the trendy Hollywood actor is now, and it’s probably because of Garfield.

1 Like

Ah, you’re a Tom Cruise man.

1 Like

Nah, I just happened to read the Mummy script that Universal had in development before Sid Sheinberg grenaded it and they moved on to the mindless and idiotic but undeniably hugely profitable Sommers version. Never forgiven Universal for that.

7 Likes

Ah, and googling, I see how you might have done that.

TIL they made 4 scorpion king films? I didn’t even know about Mummy 3, TBH.

1 Like