Former leader of Proud Poys pleads guilty to seditious conspiracy for efforts to stop transfer of power following 2020 presidential election

Originally published at: Former leader of Proud Poys pleads guilty to seditious conspiracy for efforts to stop transfer of power following 2020 presidential election | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Enrique Tarrio must be sweating in his imitation-military-style boots right about now.

28 Likes
18 Likes

He should get his money back.

14 Likes

47 Likes

$6.66! (Plus tax).

23 Likes

7 Likes

Hmmm, $6.66 + $1.11 (tax rate of 16.7%) = $7.77
Does that make it good?

4 Likes

Pleading guilty to something with a statutory minimum of 20 years suggests there was something worse he wanted to avoid. Possibly just massive legal costs to reach the same outcome, I suppose.

16 Likes

i don’t think so – he was the first to squeal and make a deal, wasn’t he??

9 Likes

Was that for the seditious conspiracy charges or something else? I lost track of all the various squealings and dealings.

10 Likes

from here.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/case-multi-defendant/file/1541231/download

he gets a 3 pt reduction for cooperating (good for 1.5 to 2 years.)

7 Likes

One grammatical monument-it’s pled, not pleaded.

One reason not to be pedantic is that it’s especially embarrassing to be wrong.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, pled was attacked by many American usage commentators (perhaps because it was not in good British use). Though still sometimes criticized, it is fully respectable today and both pled (or plead ) and pleaded are in good use in the U.S. In legal use (such as “pleaded guilty,” “pled guilty”), both forms are standard, though pleaded is used with greater frequency.

13 Likes

personally, i prefer “pled” myself. kinda like “leaded” and “led” to me.

oh me too. i just remember he was the first to make a deal, and everyone was surprised he was sneaking info to the feds in exchange for a lighter sentence.

5 Likes

Squeal and Make a Deal is my new reality TV show

11 Likes

Welcome back to another exciting episode of Squeals for Deals!

8 Likes

Live Action Real Prison - ing.

summer glau battle GIF by Knights of Badassdom

5 Likes

I thought I read it was 20 years max? The possession was 10 so he was facing potentially 30 years if consecutive. Still, point taken.

2 Likes

Did Trump not pardon them for these activities because, he didn’t care about people who had no money or because pardoning them would be admitting they were guilty and he didn’t want to admit his henchmen were guilty of sedition? Or both?