Fox Corp suffers massive share price drop on news of Tucker Carlson's departure

What’s their evidence for that?

Honestly, I’m not sure if this is a win or a loss for anyone other than Carlson (and that’s a loss, although he got a nice severance, I’m sure)… but until we know more about the whole situation, how can we know it’s a win or a loss for anyone? :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Oh no.
That’s a shame.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

19 Likes

Well, here’s to FOX soon becomng a micro-penny stock & a destitute Rupert & Sons are found sleeping* in a dumpster.

*depending on your definition of ‘sleeping’

11 Likes

While it’s true that we can’t know, I’m celebrating more than the personal humiliation and such of The Mendacious Wigged One.

His being fired so abruptly-- their most popular, money-making “personality” no less-- smells like panic to me. I think Fox News in general feels like their whole shebang is in trouble, and rightly so. I don’t KNOW that his firing is evidence of that, but I do suspect it is.

22 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s very likely the case. I’m just being cautious, because we know how these things can go…

15 Likes

I don’t think it’s panic. They have lawyers and accountants and they’ve done the math. They’re taking a hit now because they know now they can and will be held liable for egregiously and knowingly lying. A lot of people didn’t like that Dominion settled. They wanted an official judgment from a court, or at least an admission of wrongdoing from Fox. But Fox is only motivated by money, and that settlement was a lot of money, and it’s not going to be the last one.

7 Likes

I’m just being cautious, because we know how these things can go…

Normally I would be too, and probably will be tomorrow. But not today! Oh how long I’ve longed to see that super spreader of damaging, murderous far-right shit lose his throne.

15 Likes

When you put it like that…

Turn Up Dancing GIF by Rosanna Pansino

14 Likes

Which is why it actually does smell to me like panic.

If Fox “News” can make drastic changes and show in court that they’ve done so, they might be thinking that could help their case(s).

Yes, in the end it’s all about the money, but that could include losing even more if they don’t change, and don’t demonstrate that they’ve changed.

But yeah, we can’t know for sure at this point, maybe never. It’s just that for me, dumping their biggest money maker like this makes it seem like blood is flowing into the sharky water, and Fox News execs feel it sliding off the deck.

12 Likes

JMHO The price drop now may be due to the sure loss in Tucker Carlson show ad revenue. And/or stockholders trying to reap some cash while they can before the big-money investors win their lawsuits.

4 Likes

See that’s exactly where I’m at too.

If this was about “appeasement”, in my view, they would find some producers or what not and just pin all the things Tucker said on that person or group of people, and fabricate some evidence and what not and off they go. It’d be forgotten about by this time next week. And if they wanted people to not see it, they would have put him on hiatus on saturday morning, and it would just not even mean anything.

Instead they fire him at noon EST at the beginning of the news cycle. They want people to see this. This is an execution. And its their golden goose, so it’s a panic’d decision.

11 Likes

I guess the thinking was that the lawsuit was a one-time expense which most investors had long since expected before now, whereas Tucker’s departure means that Fox just lost their number one source of advertising revenue and it’s not yet clear what they’re going to replace him with.

11 Likes

Seems right, although there’s tons of depositions and leaked audio/email that they’d have to successfully counter. For Fox, it would be like having to swim upstream against a lava flow.

3 Likes

The WaPo says it’s not so much because of the lawsuit, but because Tucker talked smack about the bosses.

But it was Carlson’s comments about Fox management, as revealed in the Dominion case, that played a role in his departure from Fox, a person familiar with the company’s thinking told The Post.

“Do the executives understand how much credibility and trust we’ve lost with our audience?” Carlson wrote to a colleague in a message a day after Fox, like other media outlets, called the election for Joe Biden. It was a sentiment echoed by others at Fox in the fall of 2020, as even network officials who disbelieved Trump’s election-fraud conspiracy theories fretted that countering them strongly would alienate their conservative viewers.

In another message, Carlson referred to management with an expletive: “Those f-----s are destroying our credibility.” He later wrote: “A combination of incompetent liberals and top leadership with too much pride to back down is what’s happening.”

8 Likes

Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

12 Likes

LA Times is reporting that the firing came straight from Rupert Murdoch.

9 Likes

Maybe when Rupert asked for a loan so he can get ready for more lawsuits, the Swanson scion refused.

7 Likes

Hey, so you y’all remember when they got rid of Glenn Beck? That sure cleaned things up :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Was he their Number 1 money maker, abruptly dumped after a massive lawsuit settlement, with more of those coming up?

tonight show today i learned GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

13 Likes

Deplatforming fascists is always a win. Who cares about Glenn Beck now? Or Bill O’Reilly, or any of the other deplatformed fascists?

15 Likes