Fox Corp suffers massive share price drop on news of Tucker Carlson's departure

I thought she was on the chopping block with 2 others? Or were these rumors, not official yet?

Anyone like that not fired, I suspect it is because they were willing to play ball with Rupert saying you can’t say shit that can get us sued in the future. i.e. Agreed to be roped in some.

Someone replied that was daddy selling off of his Fox stock which would be funny if true. Even with a $700 mil drop, with the settlement it is still a little less than what the suit was for. And I imagine like Budweiser’s stock dip, it will climb back up at some point.

Still - absolute delight right now.

flame thrower fire GIF

9 Likes

tenor (1)

14 Likes

… there are always ten more assholes lined up

10 Likes

I’m exaggerating for effect but I have seen people saying his severance will be amazing or he’s going to run for office or Fox forced him out to put someone worse in, things like that. There was a ton of it after the Dominion settlement saying that Rupert Murdoch was happy with the settlement.

It’s a narrative that forms every time anything that would seem to be good for the Left happens. “Oh sure that thing that happened sure seems to be good but have you considered that it’s not & everything you do is doomed?” It gets old fast.

8 Likes

(Two perfect uses of that gif this week, well done :clap:)

11 Likes

So, maybe a good bit of wishful thinking on their part? :woman_shrugging:

I can imagine… Probably why I stick to commenting around these parts, as there is much less of that kind of thing…

5 Likes

I want to see Tucker get revenge on Fox by testifying against them in the other suits. Fun fun fun!

2 Likes

For anyone who would want Fox to change their ways, I fear this event just reinforces the wrong lesson, underscoring the wrong incentives.

“Mr. Murdock - the stock price has plummeted now that you fired Tucker!”

“Aw crap. Tell the team to FIRE UP THE FIBBOTRON, AND SET IT TO MAXIMUM CAPACITY!”

2 Likes

i mean – there’s already the revealed “scandal” – he’s a misogynist, and all of his co-workers deal with that every day.

really, i didn’t think fox would oust him, i thought they’d reward him for after the settlement – but maybe the cost off the many lawsuits, plus the toxicity off air, combined to push the earnings to cost ratio tumbling.

2 Likes

I realize that I have fallen into this cynical trap more than I’d have liked, but goodness, it does seem like we on the Left just can’t take a win sometimes.

The biggest fascist purveyor of fascist propaganda in the US just fired its biggest, most popular fascist.

And we’re bound and determined to make it into a bad thing?

10 Likes

So losing 3/4 of a billion dollars didn’t affect the share price, but this does? The stock market continues to confuse me. Or maybe I just don’t understand the scale of Fox’s revenue stream.

2 Likes

Don’t care why, as long as that fucker kicks rocks with no socks.

12 Likes

It’s not much compared to income- it’s a lot compared to shareholder profits. And more to come.

And big time investors are not a forgiving bunch.

12 Likes

It wasn’t the hate and the lies that he spoke, it’s that he cost someone money. The rest is mere details and who cares about those as long as there are plenty of rocks.

My favourite part is his realisation that he’s replacable, that’s delicious.

10 Likes

Tucker Carlson’s Fox News Boot Erases $507 Million in Value today…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-04-24/tucker-carlson-s-fox-news-exit-wipes-out-690-million-in-value#xj4y7vzkg

3 Likes

They won’t actually lose the full amount on this (hopefully first of many) settlements, thanks to it being a tax write-off:

So the $507M “lost value” from firing Carlson is probably only about half that.

8 Likes

The left seems really bad at taking the W unless it is perfect. Which, of course, never happens. Take the win.

12 Likes

Fox Sports is no problem for me to boycott because I live in the Detroit market and suffer with The Dish who “boycott” is them for me. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

15 Likes

“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

6 Likes