Fox Corp suffers massive share price drop on news of Tucker Carlson's departure

That’s a segment of the left, not the entirety, doc; thank fuck.

13 Likes

Assuming there was no non-disclosure agreement: The inevitable tell-all book will be scathing and gleaned by interested parties for lawsuits and such.

“Let all the poison that lurks in the mud, hatch out.”

― Robert Graves, I, Claudius

3 Likes

GIF by ABC Network

6 Likes

If you look at Fox’s stock price over the last year, there have been many days where Fox gained or lost this much value or more. Carlson"s firing is cause for great celebration, but Fox isn’t at risk of going bankrupt over this.

11 Likes

I never said it was good talent. Just that it was on air.

9 Likes

Well sure, not this event by itself…

interested rubbing hands GIF

9 Likes

Rupert’s News Corp has experience with super-injunctions in the UK and related legal fuckery. The will be a NDA about the sacking and a second NDA about the first NDA, or something along those lines.

3 Likes

It’s down sharply, but not at its 1 year lowest. Murdoch will perform a summoning ritual and have something to fill the gap before we know it.

9 Likes

Fox has a market capitalization of like 17 BILLION dollars. The Dominion settlement really is just a bad day at the office for them. They aren’t losing viewers or advertisers over it.

3 Likes

I’m aware, but this hit isn’t just a one off. More are coming.

interested rubbing hands GIF

9 Likes

Always good when they lose their seat. Just also cautioning against complacency. Carlson’s a symptom; there’s always a new puppet to step up.

1 Like

Take the win. Jesus. Also re: complacency, we didn’t DO anything to cause Tucker’s departure and we never could. So on that avenue, I don’t know what “complacency” in this situation means. Fox news does not care and will never care what I think about its commentators.

A white supremecist fascist no longer has a job there.

It’s a cause for celebration. Please stop trying to make it a reason for gloom and doom.

3 Likes

Live in the now, enjoy the moment.

Most of all, don’t wish rain upon the parade…

5 Likes

How could a change in stock price bankrupt a company? :thinking:

2 Likes

Nope, too late. The last few years of American democracy crumbling, of people having their rights taken away, even the constant menace of climate change…I am quoting them from something I wrote last week but don’t actually remember what they mean. I felt glad this fascist is gone, and so now no longer feel any concern about the future. If only someone had been around to stop me from the terrible mistake of feeling joy sooner.

6 Likes

I’d seen that video & it was actually in my mind when I was writing my comment here.

Upon further reflection, if your conclusion is, “Therefore punch Nazis,” your premise is likely to be that punching Nazis will materially improve the world in some way.

But if your premise is “Fighting Nazis won’t make any difference in the world,” then why in the world would you be antifascist?

If it makes the Nazis more uncomfortable to let their fascism fly free, it is materially better. This is part of our current issue. The Nazis were always there, it was just that they knew it would be dangerous or shameful to be openly racist, Nazi bastards for the last couple decades. It is no longer so. We need to make it that way again. I have no problem at all with being totally intolerant of intolerant assholes.

6 Likes

Ask people who have punched a nazi or two about what they think. Chances are, most people here will agree with their observations.

3 Likes

Good. I hope their pain is only beginning. They deserve it all. Hell, I hope Microsoft acquires Fox some day.

The market can and will survive this but the world would be better if “fox news” didn’t imo.

8 Likes

I’m of two minds on this. The folks being open about their hatreds and biases means we don’t have to put in any effort to identify them. They tend to underestimate how long going on the record lasts, too. :smiling_imp:

Still, the ones who smile in people’s faces and stab them in the back are more dangerous in many ways. That’s especially true when they are able to cover up their activities, making it difficult to determine who inflicted the wound. While the illusion of civility and tolerance lessens the daily stress of those being targeted a bit, luring the sympathizers and supporters into the light makes them much easier to hit (in the wallet or elsewhere).

Come Here Black Ink Crew GIF by VH1

Embarrassed Shame GIF

2 Likes