Fox News dumps Lou Dobbs in wake of huge lawsuit

Somehow I don’t think this gets Fox off the hook. But I think they’re also striving to adjust to a new political reality.

8 Likes

Less Lou Dobbs, more J.R. “Bob” Dobbs.

17 Likes

Sarcastic Oh No GIF by Saturday Night Live

18 Likes

Oh yes. Wingnut Welfare will take VERY good care of him. The Conservative White Male’s ability to fail up is boundless.

16 Likes

And I’d love to see that statement be required to get equivalent airtime and emphasis as the original false statements, because they were repeated over and over, and just one statement won’t undo all of those impressions any more than the tiny “corrections” notes published buried in the back of news papers meaningfully correct front page misinformation.

21 Likes

In spite of being toxic and named in the billion dollar Dominion defamation suit, OAN still aired the My Crappy Pillow guy’s multi-hour long election lies special today. Sure, they added a disclaimer saying it’s not fact, followed by hours of Lindell claiming it’s fact. :-/

13 Likes

If you put yourself in their shoes, they are choosing this path because of two existential threats:

1. Angering The Base by not feeding them the same nonsense as when the network started.
  2. Getting sued out of existence.

I do not envy that spot. Time will tell–soon–if they succeeded in walking that line.

8 Likes

I visited DC w/a friend during Bill Clinton’s reign. It was fun AF to drive past the pentagon while blasting Rage Against the Machine.

I popped in a Fall cassette when we left, so we got to hear Leave the Capitol while we made tracks back to Detroit.

6 Likes

Whats so bizarre is:

What were OANN/Fox/Newsmax thinking when they let all their anchors rant on and on about Dominion, unambiguously slandering companies that have the means to sue them mightily? (As opposed to just safely blaming “the deep state,” Hilary, Hunter Biden, CCP, “the libs”.)

Sure, they make ratings and money by feeding red meat to their credulous base, but don’t they lose money when they have to pay damages and fire the anchors that were committing the slander?

They couldn’t think 1 step ahead of their greed/zealotry?

Well, but they have in-house counsel whose only job is to prevent lawsuits like this.
Dobbs himself had been on the air for decades.
It’s not just sheer incompetence.

Well, as powerful as Trump-46 would have been, he wouldn’t be able to obviate state libel laws. I think it was more just blind zealotry and a rabid mob mentality: “Everyone’s doing it, so they can’t prosecute everyone, can they?” (Well, yes. Yes, they can. Since you are not a “mob”, but an identifiable, wealthy, corporate entity making provable false and slanderous statements.)

10 Likes

I think that’s not actually true, but bad reporting. See, for instance USA today’s retraction: Capitol riot suspect asks to leave USA on vacation

It is apparently common for lawyers to submit fully filled out orders they want the judge to sign, but they obviously don’t take effect unless and until they do.

5 Likes

It’s true now, after the initial report that jumped the gun. A copy of the order is now available.

10 Likes

Well, when you support a president who rails against good reporting and journalism as being “fake news”, chances are, anyone who still wants to work at your company will not have had proper journalistic training. Therefore, they will not have been taught the importance of due dilligence and the hazards associated with libel and defamation.

6 Likes

sigh

4 Likes

They’re tr0lls writ large. Like their childish counterparts on Internet forums, they’re constantly testing the boundaries of the rules and system to see what they can get away with.

8 Likes

My favorite Lou Dobbs moment was his “unique” pronunciation of a town in Mexico…https://youtu.be/OR1MtfmRZlQ?t=78

6 Likes

Alex Jones

The dude’s 75, and is probably loaded.

If I were 75 and loaded, I’d just say F-it and hit my hobbies.

Hell, if I’m working past 70 something went wrong with my 401k.

9 Likes

I’ll probably be working to the end, but that’s because I enjoy my work. Your approach makes equally good sense.

The difference between us and Lou Dobbs is that we’re not attention junkies.

13 Likes

Is there an emoticon for “sheds a sarcastic tear”?

4 Likes

I don’t think so, but I’ve been wanting that, and a “furrowed brow” for a while now!

3 Likes