Fox News host fired after saying Democrats may worship Moloch

That seems like an Alex Jones riff. I suspect that the owl originally had more to do with Athena than Moloch.

5 Likes

I mean, a stopped clock is right twice a day and all…

(I kid, but I’ve long entertained an idiosyncratic reading of the bible where Saul of Tarsus succeeded in their mission to defeat Christianity)

1. This is hilarious.
  2. The source article that you refer to says a guest made these comments. Your headline and article say the host did. This is not a minor semantic difference.
2 Likes

I don’t know, it seems pretty much right on the Fox News message to tell Rep Omar to go back to the third world shithole of New York City, which was ruined by liberals and progressives.

1 Like

How does it taste?

Eh, depends on the people.

1 Like

Like chicken…

2 Likes

Turns out, reading the article, that it was actually Jeffress who made the Moloch claim, while on the show.

Yeah, that sure is different. It explains things to those of us who thought this was an odd straw to break the camel’s back. Perhaps rather than being fired for the Moloch comments, Starnes was fired for not having more comments about Moloch sooner. Jeffress’ visit may have been too little, too late.

Maybe a better headline would be:

Fox News host tries in vain to save show by hosting guest who says Democrats worship Moloch

9 Likes

I know people who are chicken!

1 Like

(I’m thinking that Chris Ware came across this illustrator at some point)

1 Like
4 Likes

Well the Bohemian Club and its sexy sexy grove predate Jones. And what legit info we have about their funsies comes from (IIRC) the 20’s.

But Jones is certainly OBSESSED with the grove. To the point of trying to infiltrate it in a canoe. There’s a hilarious video he made, basically just him going straight nuts in a canoe.

But the Bohemians are basically a pretty routine turn of the century occultish drinking club, similar to the Masons and the Odd Fellows. So basically a bunch of mishmashed psuedo-religious nonsense. I’d imagine the calling the Owl Moloch is a reference to the same biblical story Jeffress is using. Cause how naughty to do the bad bible thing. These things weren’t generally put together by people with a deep understanding of folklore.

Like most of American Evangelicalism its a fascinating bit of theological weird.

I’ve always been curious whether the popularity of these ideas among Evangelicals, along with their primacy on the right could blow up the Religious Right. I mean Evangelicals are out numbered by Mormons and Catholics, but believe their literally evil and the enemy of America. You’d think that’d throw a wrench in the whole thing.

Isn’t their pagan bronze age bugaboo Mammon? The greed god?

But we are into Moloch because of… abortion?

Abortion… The way I explain it to my kids: I am very much anti-abortion. Wait! Not like that! No one should need one, but if they do it should be safe, legal and available. The woman and her doctor make these kinds of decisions. Birth control and family planning should be free, neonatal care subsidized or completely free as well (including supplemental nutrition etc). Post natal care for six months to a year as well. Sex ed should be brought up to a single rigorous federal standard. And, firstly and finally a woman’s right to bodily self-determination (the right to choose) is absolutely 100% sacrosanct. Planned Parenthood should get 5% of whatever the defense department gets. That should do it. Then do this across the planet.

Oh yeah and universal healthcare while I’m at it.

13 Likes

Moloch > Yahweh. There, I said it! I guess you know I’m a Dem now.

Dems, if you’ve come this far in your depravity, why not take an extra step further into hell and join us Greens?! Bwahahahahaha!

5 Likes

Bubo!

9|nullxnull

15 Likes

CrazyRoadLines

6 Likes

Yes. The economic theory “Neoliberalism” is essentially the failed version of capitalism that brought us the Great Depression. It serves corporate power and extreme wealth. Everybody else is collateral damage.

Infiltrating the DNC like

12 Likes

Maybe he meant Modoc?

5 Likes

I loved that movie growing up!

5 Likes