Frank Schaeffer explodes at the GOP for its AMAZING duplicity in regards to Roy Moore and Trump

I figure for every 75 year old white male who walks in a votes REPUBLICAN across the board…there needs to be balance to the force.

1 Like

I want to subscribe to his newsletter. And for once that’s not a joke.

@jeblucas 100% agreed, and I think about this every time politics come up when I’m around my family. My parents are approximately the most pleasant people I can imagine who still consistently vote Republican. And I can’t help but think: History will not forgive you. Your granddaughter will not forgive you. I’m not sure I can. I haven’t been able to bring myself to say those things out loud, and I’m not sure I want to, but it’s there.

8 Likes

It sounded like studio crew to me. I used to work in TV news, and once in a while a sound bite would play on the studio monitor that the crew just couldn’t believe. I think this was one of those moments.

6 Likes

[Á là Crammps: yes please.]

2 Likes

At this point they vote republican ‘to keep them dirty libtards from rnning things.’ End of story.

Right now the Republicans are the Centauri. The Demacrats are the Narn. So focused on eachother’s death that death is all they see and death is all they deserve.

Both houses sicken me with heir selfish bullshit. Because one is more or less horrible than the other does not negate that both are horrible.

When you become so concerned with winning and staying in power you forget why you wanted to take control in the first place.

You know, just like the Soviets.

4 Likes

I’m a 75 year-old white male, and a dedicated SOZI. Does that work as a partial offset?

I don’t think they have their hands over their ears. You only think they do because you have values you would have to deny violating. They don’t. All they want is to be a Finger in your Eye. That’s it.

Trump did this horrible stuff.

“I don’t care.”

Trump doesn’t actually hold the cultural and religious value you claim to hold dear.

“I don’t care.”

Trump’s policies will harm you.

“I don’t care.”

6 Likes

You know what sickens me? This constantly repeated bullshit. You need look no further than the war on the Judiciary currently going on to know that it’s bullshit. War on the environment, war on Voting Rights, War on immigrant rights. How much of this will it take to convince you people that this claim of “evil parity” is complete bullshit?

9 Likes

If you have deeply held religious beliefs, you are well on your way to fantasy land anyways.

Nor does it negate that one is more horrible, and one is less horrible.

3 Likes

The answer is, don’t count on such people to “see the light,” just as you wouldn’t expect a Christian fundamentalist who is still supporting Moore to suddenly “see the light.”

It’s like trying to get an addict to quit drugs, before they have decided for themselves that they actually want to quit drugs. It just isn’t possible.

So what we must do, then, is mobilize the folks who CAN be appealed to. And let the others join in once they are ready. But many such folks IMHO are, above all else, contrarians. And there is noooo converting of a contrarian, before they’re ready.

4 Likes

Thing is, we’re not asking them to switch sides, just come down off their high “moral purity” horse when the fucking world is ending. It reminds me of a story from the Siege of Jerusalem during the Israeli War of Independence. The IDF needed the help of every able bodied person in the city to shore up the defences, but the Orthodox virtually rioted about being asked to work on the Sabbath. There are times when moral purity needs to be lowered in priority!!!

2 Likes

Eh, doesn’t matter – some of these folks just won’t look at it from the perspective you and I seem to share. Just don’t get too bent out of shape about it, IMHO. There are enough reasonable people out there, to turn things around.

I’m in business development, AKA sales. Highly technical sales to a very specific niche market, but it’s still a category of biz-dev at the end of the day.

Now, most sales organizations have limited resources, and individual salespeople have limited resources (time, supporting team, etc.) as well. This is why in biz-dev we place such a heavy emphasis on “qualifying” a potential customer, or lead. The point is, try to VERY quickly figure out if this is a lead worth putting time and resources into, versus putting energy into other leads that have more potential. Many factors can influence the calculus, but the main thing is, try to figure it out sooner rather than later, and constantly be re-qualifying a lead, and drop it and move on to the next one when they fail the test.

This is how we need to approach building a wave of momentum in politics. Qualify, and either pursue, or move on.

If someone is in the “Hillary and the Democrats are so bad, I cannot support them, even when this may well lead to the (further) rise of the GOP” camp… move on.

3 Likes

The elections are too close to write anyone off, and these people have fucked us twice now, with GWB and this monster. Every time we come off a major Dem incumbency they’re angry about what they didn’t get, somehow forget how awful the GOP really is, and fail to support the party nominee. I’m SOOOO tired of it!!

IMHO there are plenty of people who do not vote, who you will have more luck trying to get to vote (for a “less-evil” Democrat, heh) than the number of people who place a false ethical equivalency on the parties, and either choose not to vote, or vote for obscure third-party candidates as a result. I’m telling you, qualify and move on. Getting into a battle is simply not worth the time.

2 Likes

When you put it that way, you’re probably right. But it still makes me mad.

1 Like

Because one is more or less horrible than the other does not negate that both are horrible.

Cancer is worse than syphilis. This does not make syphilis good.

7 Likes

Then take joy in the fact that refusing to engage with contrarians, and instead showing them you will move ahead with more effective techniques with other people, will likely drive them nuts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great example. Syphilis is an awful disease that is actually pretty easily curable, unlike most cancer. Easy choice.

4 Likes