Frank Schaeffer explodes at the GOP for its AMAZING duplicity in regards to Roy Moore and Trump

Yup.

You cure it by mercilessly killing off the infection. Not by volunteering to get fucked again.

7 Likes

An ironic choice of metaphor, considering how actually we heal many infections by using less-virulent/active forms of… Disease-causing agents.

Swear to god, not trying to sway your opinion, I figured out a little while ago now that we are simply not going to agree about many things. I did like one of your (unrelated) posts earlier this evening, however! :kissing_heart:

Your analogy only hold if you attack the infection with drugs that give you cancer. Perhaps a better one would be infecting yourself with hookworms to put Inflammatory Bowel Disease into remission. Has it’s downsides, but better than the other disease.

Sorry, but I WILL NOT concede that there was no difference between Bush & Gore or between Trump & Clinton. To believe so is delusional, and anyone who withheld their vote in the main election was voting for the GOP.

3 Likes

Glad to hear it; that would, indeed, be a ridiculous position to hold. Which is why neither myself or @singletona082 stated such a thing.

The Trumpists are shamelessly corrupt fascists. The establishment Democrats are hopelessly corrupt plutocrats. They are not remotely equivalent.

However, they are both vile, and both catastrophic. Both must be removed from power.

3 Likes

Before I got sick, I used to do the same. Textbooks, microscopes, general supplies.

Even a few dollars can make a difference. You can directly see the impact, and Donors Choose appear to be doing it as it should be done.

5 Likes

I’m thinking that represented as a painting, it could be a political statement. Would anyone want to see political figures represented as walking piles of mashed potatoes dressed up in clothes (in a painting)?

3 Likes

Yah yah, so clever to twist my words. But I insist, they are NOT equally bad, even if differently bad. Even if the Dems are in the pocket of business too, they are pro environment, pro civil rights, and anti theocracy. Are you unhappy with any of Clinton or Obama’s SCOTUS picks? Are you fearful for RBG’s health? The court is reason enough to not fuck around with idealistic whining. I have no problem with contesting the D nomination, but for Gods sake then vote for the party!

3 Likes

And, again: yes. They are not equally bad. I agree.

Trumpism is a global catastrophe that demands an immediate revolutionary response. The Trumpist movement is very obviously charging towards full-scale mass-slaughter fascism.

The Democratic Party establishment are not fascists. They are not anywhere near as bad as the Trumpists.

Instead, they are plutocrats who are largely unable (and unwilling) to meaningfully resist fascism. And their corrupt plutocratic capitalism played a large role in creating the situation that allowed fascism to reemerge.

Establishment Democrats = bad. Trump = worse. Urgently required = politics that are neither bad nor worse.

2 Likes

It’s hard to make your vote count when the monsters are absolutely willing to make it:

1. Illegal for you to vote
  2. Doing everything they possibly can, short of coming to your house and killing you, to prevent you from voting
  3. Encouraging white supremacists to “guard” polling places
  4. Gerrymandering using tools like REDMAP in order to make sure states always tip for the Republicans
  5. An electoral system designed to favor entrenched incumbents
  6. A republican party that’s willing to ignore the constitution in order to delay legal appointments by SIMPLY NOT DOING THEIR FUCKING JOBS.

Mitch McConnell is a traitor to the American people, and the constitution.

10 Likes

Thank you. Just because I’m not willing to turn a blind eye to ‘our’ faults does not mean I’m with the jackboots. I simply see that ‘we’ have our own problems and to ignore them does a MASSIVE disservice to everyone. Even from a purely selfish pragmatic standpoint acting like the high moral bastion of Light and Hope invites others to point at every wart and crack and go ‘uh hey Kettle? I don’t mean to say it but i’m gonna have to say it…’

2 Likes

Yes. Yes, I would.

1 Like

Absolutely depressing seeing the twisted logic coming from such “Christian” conservatives defending Moore. Came across this feed today and the rationals expressed are truly sickening.

4 Likes

Well, these are people who follow Mike Huckabee, a noted suppurating abscess of moral gangrene, on the Facebook. If they can tolerate, even support him, I’m not surprised that they can twist themselves into pretzels to defend Moore.

4 Likes

God, these people are such sticklers for due process and the burden of proof. Ryan from the Huckabee page: “it would set a dangerous precedent that allegations alone are enough to kill any campaign.” Now remind me what court was Crooked Hillary convicted in?

5 Likes

The Court of Benghazi, you America hater!

2 Likes

Appealing to the brain-dead fuckwits who vote GOP will get you nowhere.

What needs to happen in order to overcome bullshit like gerrymandering, voter suppression, and the electoral college, is to purge the Democratic party of neocon scum so that folks actually have somebody to vote for rather than against - that will drive turnout up far enough to render these poisonous fuckstains irrelevant once and for all, and it wont be a moment too soon.

Everyone with a clue should be blaming this shitfight on the state of the Democrats.

The Dems went sharply downhill after Citizen’s United, but they’ve always been crap.

They were shit when Jackson founded them, they were shit while defending slavery, shit when Wilson launched the Red Scares, shit when JFK and LBJ were slaughtering Vietnam, shit when Clinton supercharged the carceral state and set up the GFC.

Their one redeeming moment was the Civil Rights Act, and even that was just a restoration of the rights that were stolen by Democrats at the end of Reconstruction.

(cued to relevant bit, at 5:03)

The party name may be salvagable, but the party overall needs a full skin & gut job. All of the establishment need to go.

3 Likes

This Schaeffer bloke seems to be trying pretty hard to make up for being a big part of the problem in the past…

I like this guy.

2 Likes

He’s well known to atheist podcasters. He’s done several interviews about how and why he changed his mind and is no longer part of Amercia’s most successful cult.

3 Likes
6 Likes