Fuck Elon Musk (Part 1)

Speaking of Mastadon,

Has BB done even a single post on Mastodon yet?

12 Likes

Looks like that should say “hundreds of thousands.”

10 Likes
4 Likes

Welcome your enhanced propaganda machine:

What a fucking shit show.

15 Likes

From the article:
"The rules do state that users may not use Twitter’s services “for the purpose of manipulating or interfering in election of other civic processes.” (I assume the typo is sic, since Twitter has apparently fired any and all people that do QA of any sort)

Cool! So no politics are allowed on Twitter at all since any engagement in politics is, ultimately, an attempt to influence an election.

Maybe they accidentally did figure out how to fix Twitter.

I assume that the accounts of everyone running for or holding office will be immediately cancelled to comply with this new mandate? I guarantee you every one of those people has attempted to influence an election on Twitter in the hours since this new rule came out.

ETA: looks like the original article is gone now - 404

12 Likes

That’s a 404 right now.

Updated link:

8 Likes
17 Likes

A fun look at the trash fire (and now I know that Ryan is a boingboing reader after a recent call-out in his podcast)

8 Likes

Oh well I guess he is banned now under his new rule! No? Huh.

8 Likes

Dunno. Requesting my archive now.

5 Likes

11 Likes

Oh well!

I await your pointing to a better Twatter alternative

5 Likes

I can’t, because I don’t think that large scale social media sites have ever been a net benefit.

Find communities you like where they are rather than using an advertising platform to communicate. This is not directed at you, just in general. I actually have no problem with mastadon specifically, but I don’t like anything that wants to be the way you communicate with all of your people and interests.

Mastadon has the advantage of not being commercial, at least but I also think that is an issue for the people that say they “need Twitter” - mastadon doesn’t yet have nearly the reach to be a career maker and there is no monitization within the platform so I don’t see it being a replacement for the people that “use Twitter for work”

I hope that Mastadon does well and can be a good place to go for people that leave Twitter, but honestly, I don’t think there is such a thing as a good social network - the very idea is bad to begin with. It adds an immediate layer of performance and voyeurism that taints everything.

That’s just, like, my opinion though

8 Likes

Not that it was a very bold prediction, but I’d say that counts as not completely wrong.

7 Likes

Not that he cares

10 Likes

This might be a rerun for some, but I just stumbled across it and it seems particularly relevant now:

(The “
or else you’ll get banned” was left out, for some reason.)

10 Likes

They took things a bit further today.

16 Likes

Tom Hiddleston Reaction GIF

10 Likes
5 Likes

“Ethereum’s creator Vitalik Buterin who warned that 1TB of data per month won’t be enough for the “scaling endgame” he proposed earlier in the year that could solve the Ethereum blockchain congestions.”

A terabyte a month is not enough to run an Ethereum node? That seems crazy - what a tremendous waste of bandwidth

7 Likes