Fuck Today, Continued

As a Chicago-adjacent person I find the descriptions of Chicago as excessively violent ironic. There are way more gun caused homicides in other cities.

1 Like
19 Likes
14 Likes
11 Likes

Those pictures . . . recall the Warsaw Ghetto.

8 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

6 Likes

To @FloridaManJefe and all mutants in the area, be safe and get out to fthe way if you can.

18 Likes

thanks, Doc.
we are getting tropical storm conditions and are currently under tornado watch. rain bands dump a lot, then pass, one after another. been like that starting about 10pm last night.
took down all hanging pots and bird feeders, trailered the boat and parked it on the lot. generator’s gassed up, just in case and there is lots of water and MRE type food ready. don’t really think we’ll need any of that, but we know how to prepare. been here before. won’t be the last time. and this one is just a blow-by. my worry is for friends and fam up in Tampa area. they are heading for higher ground.

19 Likes

Classic Film Champagne GIF by Warner Archive

8 Likes

Key Largo! one of my very favorite Bogie films! fun film fact: Jay Silverheels (Tonto from the Lone Ranger series) was the Seminole who knocked on the hotel’s door when the group of natives sought shelter from the hurricane. Silverheels was a prominent spokesperson for Native Americans IRL.

the boat from African Queen is docked in Key Largo and can be hired for nearshore excursions! kinda small, but she’s a real beauty! the boat in Key Largo’s climactic ending was Bogart’s own fishing boat that he used when staying down here. as i understand, he would take long trips down to Cuba on that boat back when Hollywood stars and mafiosos would treat Havana as a playground.

but i’ve gone terribly off topic
 fuck today!

16 Likes

Batten down the hatches and stay safe, my friend! Fingers crossed for everyone in it’s path!

We’re probably gonna get some of this storm once it comes inland, as it looks like it’s headed straight north into GA where I live by Friday. They’re predicting bad storms on Friday night

15 Likes

I love Claire Trevor’s performance in that movie. (She endowed UCI’s school of the arts!)

Stay safe!

7 Likes
17 Likes

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

21 Likes

Saw this today. Fucking accurate, and depressing as hell.

I love this guy, his takes on medicine are spot on. This one, a little too much so.

10 Likes

Well, of this isn’t turning out to be a wreck of a week.

Had a really nice weekend, first meeting with five friends for a night over and one of them, feasting on the best bread in town, a great variety of cheeses, a dozen different honeys and some more. Then, I went mushroom hunting with my sibling and their kids. Hadn’t seen them since before the pandemic. Actually, the last time I saw the kids was at the funeral of a family member in 2019.

Monday morning, 4 am: Corona contact warning issued by the app for Saturday and Sunday. Weird - I’ve been with friends and family only, nearly no further contact. Where did I get that warning from? Anyway, Bluetooth proximity isn’t the most reliable thing.
Tuesday: meeting with my boss, the boss’s boss and a neutral person for a crisis meeting. I scheduled this to address bossing issues and to try to get a fresh start. We agree to take off our masks, literally. Maybe also figuratively. Boss reiterates his opinion in the meeting that I didn’t complete any project during the last four years and my work could be done by any intern. I tell them I do not agree but the discussion of facts should not take place now, since I asked for this meeting to take place to get to a different level of communication. We come to terms after a discussion that we’ll write down how we want future work meetings to proceed and how communication should not be. (e.g., devaluating someone’s work. The meeting - not the result - demotivated me massively. Rock, me, hard place.
Wednesday: one of the friends I spent the weekend with informs me they have COVID, since Monday, and today tested positive. They think they caught it Friday, since they went out together then. Ok? I arrived Saturday. I got this strange warning, for both days. Without being in the proximity of other people than the group. The logical conclusion would be someone from the group tested positive either before, or really immediately after the gathering and feasting. Without telling the others.

Mood:
Doctor Who Reaction GIF

20 Likes

how high wtf GIF

9 Likes

Goodness! I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Hopefully this shall pass.

15 Likes
15 Likes

“Thats because you’re thinking like a physician!”
“Evidence based what? 
 I can show you evidence of my yacht.”

WRT “What are they gonna do? Quit? 
 Doctors have student loans. They have no transferrable skills”
That private equity can treat physicians with the same disregard given fast food workers speaks both to their tremendous power and just how our societal priorities and structures are fucked. Not that fast food workers deserve to be treated poorly, but physicians have always had a special status because of the work they do and high bar for entry into the profession.
Thanks for sharing this.

6 Likes