Fuck Today, Continued

I still say that if you are really worried about things falling apart, the best thing to do would be to learn first aid. Kudos to you for being ahead on that. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Humans tend to group up when there’s trouble, not hunker down in solo bunkers. The writers of post nuclear apocalypse stories have a lot to answer for in how they shaped American ideas of survival.

4 Likes

Large group of vaccinated children contract measles. Ha! Trick!! Guess what? They in fact were not vaccinated.

Context:

16 Likes

It is with a heavy heart that I found out the one true voice of Batman, Kevin Conroy has passed away at the age of 66 from cancer.

11 Likes

The bigger an alternative to corporate capture gets, the more susceptible it becomes corporate capture.

Edit: Oops, maybe not…I looked up newspunch:

9 Likes

Agreed.
When COVID was first dawning on us as a real “oh, shit” moment a couple years ago, a friend out in CA mentioned that the local fire station had started offering community “emergency response” courses, and they were all full.
She took one, I wish they’d had something like that around here. They learned basic first aid and CPR, and also best responses for various emergencies like earthquakes or wildfires. It was really empowering to feel like she at least would know what to do in the first bit of time.

17 Likes
13 Likes
16 Likes
14 Likes

But under Iranian law, you can’t execute a minor if they’re a virgin.

That roadblock has been solved in the past by marrying the girls off to prison guards to be raped the night before their murders - a practice that’s been documented over the decades by journalists, families, activists and even a former leader.

Just when I thought that humanity couldn’t seem any more depraved, here we are.

20 Likes

While some doctors in the focus groups welcomed the idea of additional education to help them better care for patients with disabilities, others said they were overburdened and that the typical 15-minutes allotted for office visits is not enough to provide the patients with proper care. Still others “started to describe that they felt these patients were a burden and that they would discharge patients with disability from their practice,” she said. “We had to write it up.”

I am of two opinions for this one. 1) In a profit-centered business, those with disabilities need more time to provide proper care, and the 99213 or 99214 do not adequately capture the difference, especially with the new updated coding requirements. Therefore, it is less profitable to care for these folks. The issue comes when you realize the provider is the only one who takes that hit. Most of us are on some form of productivity-based compensation plan, so it hits our income directly. 2) So fucking what?? None of us are in danger of missing any meals. Our income is higher than the vast majority of our patients and to complain about costing us a few points of productivity makes us look horrible.

Additionally, I am a pediatrician. This puts me in a different place than the folks in this study. We take all comers and I care for patients on ventilators, micropremies on feeding tubes and monitors, kids with neurological and developmental issues that are challenging to say the least. We struggle mightily with the fact that, at some point, we have to say “You are not a pediatric patient anymore.” I have “kids” in their mid-to-late 20’s who I still take care of because I know there is no place for them in the adult practices within an hour or more of our location. Studies have shown that the morbidity and mortality rates for folks with complex medical conditions skyrocket when the transition from peds to adult care. And yet, this shit keeps coming up. I didn’t quote it, but the authors tried to get a comment from the AMA on this. They refused, pointing to a statement that has some bland “we support equality” language. Sorry to rant about this, but it hit a nerve. And, once again, profit motive has no place in healthcare.

24 Likes

:cry: JFC:

15 Likes

Hallmark no longer makes the legacy cord for your old Star Trek ornaments. Glad I bought a spare last year.

You can still find those old style mini incandescent Xmas tree ornaments and they’ll plug in there - but no blinking ones!

Just checked- they’re going for $200 now on eBay.

7 Likes

And it spreads:

14 Likes

And recently someone here said that we could have eradicated Covid if we only had the will. We had measles almost completely gone from the US and it’s taken less than 5 years of anti-vax idiocy for cases to start showing up again. We know how to control this. We don’t seem able to keep the effort though.

8 Likes

Fuck that is something I wish I’d never learned.

15 Likes

Grauniad liberals are convinced that a career in spying and designing bombs to drop on people is a good thing, because it will increase diversity.

15 Likes

Sad. Another pandemic victim.

13 Likes

A long-ago study (I wish I could recall where) showed a strong correlation between the “attractiveness” of children and the quality of treatment provided to them by child psychologists. Insert surprised face here?

6 Likes

“Some benefits of our employees’ differences are better pattern recognition, trending, creativity and innovation.”

It sounds like BAE, et al, have heard of Temple Grandin.

9 Likes