Fuck Today, Continued

If students disclose their mental health disability while seeking support and demonstrate severe symptoms, the university has often pressured them to voluntarily withdraw until they can apply for reinstatement at least a semester later. If the students refused, the university’s policies allow for “involuntary withdrawals,” forcing students to take leave without “deference to treating professionals or consideration of whether withdrawal will cause harm,” the lawsuit says.
Students may also have to discontinue their university health insurance, forfeiting all completed health insurance payments, in addition to a portion – or sometimes all – of their already paid tuition, room and board fees, the lawsuit alleges.

I had no idea. What a fucked up policy!

21 Likes

Followup: Ms. Pane was dropping off dry cleaning yesterday and the guy in front of her was the husband and father of the woman and child killed by the falling tree. He was taken from the site struggling, trying to get back into the house to get his wife and kid. Firefighters said later that all they could see was the kid’s hand sticking out from under the tree. So they sedated him and took him away. He was dropping off a suit for the funeral. The tornado did the most damage in one of the poorest parts of the area (which is saying something). The dry cleaner said she’d do everyone who attends the funeral’s cleaning for free. Small town stuff.

20 Likes

Oh my god, that’s just fucking awful. My heart goes out to him.

Small towns can be crap to live in, but they can be wonderful to live in too.

19 Likes

Oh man, I hope all the people involved in that, including the firemen can get some time for therapy, the image I got from your words is going to stick with me, I cn’t imagine how traumatic it must have been for people there :frowning:

13 Likes

Locally (though I don’t know if the Heretic and Felix’s are known specifically for drag shows):

Oh No Omg GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

17 Likes

'My friends I want to keep everyone calm and positive thinking. I’m strong, very hopeful, and following my treatment as usual.
'I want to thank the whole medical and nursing team, for all the zeal I’ve been receiving. I have a lot of faith in God and every message of love I receive from you, coming all over the world, keeps me full of energy.
‘And watch Brazil in the World Cup too! Thank you so much for everything.’

12 Likes

Oh no!

Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor

(ETA: changed the gif)

8 Likes
12 Likes

So my Mom tried to kill herself earlier today, so yeah fuck today.

It’s complicated as we have a very complicated history, this is not the first time, she currently has a lot of crushing physical/pain issues not being properly treated at present, and she has almost no support network.

But I’m basically the only person she can really vent to so it’s a lot.

Oh yeah and she has been the only care giver for my extremely mentally ill brother, he’s with his grandfather now but that’s not a stable situation at all.

I’m always mad at capitalism, but our current economic system and shitty health care system and profoundly shitty mental health care system are literally killing my family right now.

32 Likes

I am really glad that your mother is still with us. I hope that this represents a bottoming out point before things start getting better.

Pig Hug GIF

23 Likes

I hope things improve for everyone. And that you take care of yourself too.

22 Likes

Thanks, I am lucky enough to have a really good support network right now.

24 Likes

Oh my god, I’m so sorry to hear this. I hope you are getting some help as well as trying to help your mom.

21 Likes

Oh god… I’m so sorry. That’s fucking awful.

Pig Hug GIF

19 Likes

I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this. I’ll echo @KathyPartdeux and ask that you please remember to take care of yourself, too.

Monsters Inc Hug GIF

20 Likes

Fsck those people. With a sideways roll of barbed wire.

• Emmit Till’s accuser retires to Bowling Green, KY to finish out her days.
  • Local residents decide to hold a march for justice, in hopes she can be held accountable before she dies.
  • Right-wing assh*les start phoning in threats to kill the marchers. The threats were in sufficient volume that they had to cancel the Xmas parade.
21 Likes

joanna lumley rage GIF

10 Likes

More than a month.

13 Likes

Charging documents say Bateman, 46, is a “self-proclaimed prophet of the FLDS Church” within the Short Creek community with over 50 followers and over 20 wives “mostly under the age of 15.”

14 Likes

Getting the girls out of that environment was the right call, but most foster care systems are rife with abuse themselves, and having grown up in a cult the desire to return to a familiar “special” group would be strong. This doesn’t sound so much like kidnapping as it does facilitating running away. It will take years and years of a stable home life for these girls to recognize that what was being done to them was abuse as our society sees it.

5 Likes