Fuck Today, Continued

When I was teaching, the district used JROTC as a carrot for enrollment at schools that are outside the boundary of a student’s neighborhood schools. If they wanted to join JROTC, they could go to a higher performing HS. Seems transactional to me. :roll_eyes:

Recruiting on campus is also problematic. A teacher at my school who had been a marine was upset with the tactics the recruiters use with kids (they lied about pay, possible bonuses, and most importantly, education benefits) and he’d made it his duty to make sure kids understood what they were actually going to get out of the deal. If a veteran with active military twin brother has an issue with recruiting, that says a lot.

20 Likes
13 Likes
7 Likes

White-power patches and social media history? No problem.

This, though? ¡Quelle horreur!

16 Likes

Along those lines,

The law, Measure 114, grants county sheriffs and police chiefs discretion to determine who qualifies to purchase a firearm under a new permit-to-purchase program.
But Measure 114 lacks criteria clearly defining what disqualifies applicants, details on what makes someone a threat and what data can be used by law enforcement in making that decision. That’s a problem for activists who have critiqued law enforcement, particularly in the racial justice protests that took place over the past two years.

Great, so let the right wing supporting, fascist-adjacent (at best) LEO decide who can and who cannot be armed. That seems like the worst possible solution to the gun problem.

17 Likes

Also, what about the whole “no gummint is gonna regulate who gets a gun!” crowd?

5 Likes
13 Likes

My state, racking up the wins today:

17 Likes

They will be kept in a locked cupboard to keep them safe.

15 Likes

Just the US, exporting our gun violence to other countries.

11 Likes
14 Likes

We love it! Like jazz rock and roll and hip hop, the world also loves the very worst of America!

9 Likes
12 Likes

I first read that as a reply to the post right above it, about child laborers. Still works for it, really.

11 Likes

I am glad no one was injured and I feel bad for all the helpless fish. But I am frustrated by the lack of surveillance video showing the event.

9 Likes

Somewhere between “Awesome!” and “Oh no…” :confused:

9 Likes

If we appropriately punish companies that hire undocumented and minor workers we end up punishing the workers. I’d like to know if there is evidence that the kids were even getting paid. It might not seem strange to someone from a place where kids routinely go to work that their kid came to the plant too. The floor managers who allowed this to continue should be charged with child endangerment.
Sorry for the unjointed thoughts.

If one’s JAQing is to have any credibility, it helps to read beyond the headline. Having read the article, I have no doubt these kids were getting paid:

Among the children found working at the plant, Reuters learned, were two Guatemalan brothers, aged 13 and 15, who were taken into protective custody by federal authorities. While they worked at SL, the brothers lived without their parents, staying with other factory workers in a sparsely furnished house owned by the president of the staffing agency that hired them, according to property records, family members, and a former coworker interviewed at the home in Alabama. A teenage cousin who worked at the factory with the brothers said that no one at SL ever verified workers’ ages. “They didn’t ask any questions,” the cousin said.

11 Likes

Because humans dying and being sick doesn’t impact the economy like oil does! \s

but like really though… Why don’t we? I guess I always assumed we did.

5 Likes

i have mixed feelings about this line of argument. i think it only holds if one takes for granted that having a gun is a good thing.

having a gun at home is dangerous and is linked with increased risk for injury and death.

so yes, differential treatment under the law is bad. but this seems akin to saying everyone except registered republicans must get vaccinated. i would feel bad for the families of the republicans, not everyone else

2 Likes