Fuck Today, Continued

5 Likes

Jesus F Christ. This country has gone insane. Those poor people. My god.

10 Likes

I hope they gave him his gun back? Whose gonna raise that gun now!?

Poor orphan gun… I hope they don’t lock him up for that. Everybody has the right to shoot an AR-15 at their neighbors and besides maybe it wasn’t exactly that kinda gun or something.

Remember you’re only as free as a bullet in america!

/ssssSS

6 Likes

pretty much

There’s always shootings, there’s always shooting," [a neighbor] said to KTRK. “There’s always people calling the cops and there’s nothing being done.”

She said that neighbors would frequently shoot firearms on weekends and holidays and that the sound of gunshots overnight was normal.

3 Likes

Holy Crap GIF by The Bachelor Australia

11 Likes

We hear them all the time this year. Just in my quiet suburban neighborhood there have been multiple dv shootings. There was a shooting last week at my grocery store. Just some random angry man having a bad day and doing what comes naturally. That one didn’t even make the news, only did because the man had been hitting people with his car and attacking folks at bus stops for some time so there was public interest. But since he didn’t kill anyone it’s…fine I guess?

This is what it’s like to live with these laws the gun rights activists have made for us.

Welcome to PTSD club kiddos!!!

8 Likes

Holy crap once more.

13 Likes

But if we don’t keep shooting each other how will those gun company stocks keep paying dividends?

Don’t you have any sympathy for human life? Think of the stocks, not the children! We can always make more children to shoot at, after all.

/S

Honestly how this plays with the GOP narrative around race and the culture wars is sickening. I’m disgusted and angry and exhausted all at once. I want everyone to see what a goddamned shithole this place is becoming and react to protect themselves from these ghouls but so long as it can be spun as “crime ridden liberal cities” we are fucked as a nation.

7 Likes

Yes, but you misidentified a Glock 17 as a Glock 19 that time, so you don’t get to have an opinion about guns.

/s

13 Likes
4 Likes

10 Likes
7 Likes

The way this situation is described is disturbing. Starting with Oakland and leaning into narratives about lack of community support for the police sounds like victim blaming:

“Communities that are especially impacted by gun violence believe that the police are ineffective or indifferent, and as a result, they’re less willing to cooperate and provide information the police need to have successful investigations,” says Cook, who has several research articles on the topic coming out.

“It is undermining whatever trust there is in the police. And it’s a vicious circle,” Cook says.

OTOH, maybe the cops weren’t worthy of any trust from the beginning and it went downhill from there. :woman_shrugging:t4: We’ve all learned that speaking to cops without a lawyer can lead to being wrongfully incarcerated. However, Cook claims more people need to talk to the cops to help them do their jobs. I’m sure the outcome from all those cases of cops executing people on camera and rarely getting charged or convicted of any crime really improved public opinion of what kind of job cops are doing. :weary:

Cities that hold cops accountable, put effort into engaging members of the community, increase beat cops to increase communication, and require that cops live in the communities where they work have had better outcomes. While Prof. Cook’s conclusions are front and center, this jumped out at me from much further down the page:

Researchers say key ways cities can to try to stop the downward spiral is simply investing more in homicide investigations: improving crime labs, training, DNA testing, computer modeling systems.

Those points in the article about corrupt cops caught lying and coercing people to close cases are other key reasons for the mistrust. Finding loopholes to manipulate the figures is viewed the same way. More negative opinions come from incidents of racist behavior among the city’s cops that capture the attention of the press. The reason for the mistrust is because cops have not been acting in a way that inspires it. They’ve made it clear that they are more interested in protecting and serving themselves that anyone else*, so now we see more evidence of their incompetence on display instead of copaganda. The fact that judges and prosecutors are holding them to a higher standard is good. The public should do the same, and compensate them based on performance.

Defund the police. :fist:t4:

*Examples of this can be found in the BLM, Buttheads, Uprising, and Defund topics.

15 Likes

It is NPR, after all.

7 Likes

Snoop Dogg Reaction GIF

8 Likes

Not sure where else to put this… It sounds like people in Haiti are beyond fed up with what’s been happening, the lack of action to address it, and are now fighting back against people they see as the problem.

But of course some will see this as evidence of the “unfitness” of Haitians to handle their own affairs, rather than a very human reaction to continued chaos and the people profiting from it.

11 Likes
7 Likes

Just a reminder that this piece of shit human is still running free, happily having his case bumped forward. Again. And again.

I don’t know what the significance is of the last entry, or the requirement of video. “No psi” means “No pre-sentence investigation.” Perhaps this means he’s going to plead guilty? Any Mutant Lawyers able to parse this.

8 Likes

Found this on delays, but still would like to see more details on whether or not the offense makes any difference in the wait time:

11 Likes

That story is a “Fuck Today” all on its own.

11 Likes