Fuck Today, Continued

By Geraldo “Broken Clock” Rivera

11 Likes

I had not heard that they were all undocumented? Any idea if that’s accurate or not? I know at least one of the has lived in the US for at least 20 years (from a story I heard today)…

6 Likes

South Africa: Girl, 8, only survivor as 45 killed in bus crash

11 Likes

Right, not all, according to HCR.

In the past days, we have learned that the six maintenance workers killed when the bridge collapsed were all immigrants, natives of Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador. Around 39% of the workforce in the construction industry around Baltimore and Washington, D.C., about 130,000 people, are immigrants, Scott Dance and María Luisa Paúl reported in the Washington Post yesterday.

Some of the men were undocumented, and all of them were family men who sent money back to their home countries, as well. From Honduras, the nephew of one of the men killed told the Associated Press, “The kind of work he did is what people born in the U.S. won’t do. People like him travel there with a dream. They don’t want to break anything or take anything."

I wonder if that’s what people call “a distinction without a difference.” :thinking:

10 Likes

California park warns of illegal trails near ‘unexploded’ grenades

https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks/article/fort-ord-warn-illegal-trails-munitions-19373922.php

7 Likes

And I’m sure their status will allow the construction company to deny benefits

7 Likes

Thanks! I just read that a bit ago. I’m not surprised that some were undocumented and that all were immigrants. My heart goes out to their families… :sob:

Billy Bob Thornton Goliath GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Oh course, this is such a high profile thing, that it might be hard for them to get away with that? I hope, at least.

10 Likes

Northwestern Medicine in Chicago, Penn Medicine in Philadelphia, University Hospitals in the Cleveland area and Baptist Health in Miami are among the large hospital systems offering concierge physician services. The fees, which can exceed $4,000 a year, are in addition to copayments, deductibles and other charges not paid by patients’ insurance plans.

Sounds like a great way to exclude the poor from your exclusive club. We have several of these shops around here, but I’ve not heard of the big institutions running one. I think I hate it.

9 Likes

Do we know the name of the sixth worker who was killed? Geraldo listed five names but said the crew consisted of six people.

2 Likes

Man holds several people inside Dutch cafe - media

6 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes

10 Likes

(upload://5chC2E61Noc7F2zGoCpXgeFbZPE.gif)

9 Likes
10 Likes

So there’s a new thing, right at the nexus of: gig work making life worse for employees, technology turbocharging existing prejudice, and people finding new ways to be awful to those who are “lesser”.

5 Likes

Finland shooting: Several injured in Vantaa school shooting - police

Finland shooting: Child dead and two wounded in Vantaa school shooting

One 12-year-old sixth grade pupil died and two others were injured after being shot by a classmate at the Viertola school in Vantaa on Tuesday morning, the police said at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.

The two injured pupils are hospitalised and being treated for serious injuries, according to the police.

The handgun used by the perpetrator was licensed to a close relative.

9 Likes

According to NPR, they had coordinated this movement with the IDF, so they knew exactly where they were when they targeted them. Having a hard time believing this was not intentional. More of the “don’t shoot them, starve them” method of genocide.

9 Likes

But Germany says it’s not genocide. Namibia disagrees of course, but what would they know?

7 Likes

Dozens dead in Istanbul nightclub fire

9 Likes