Fuck Today, Continued

A technician is scheduled to visit your home between 8 A.M. and 12 P.M.

I hate that so much! There is no “12 P.M.”! I guess I can assume that they mean Noon, and hope for the best.

3 Likes
9 Likes

So, the backlog will be cleared. It will be undecipherable drek, but will get it cleared. And that’s really all that matters, right?

7 Likes

In :canada:, Conservative sentor Hugh Segal was famously in favour of Universal Basic Income because, among other reasons, it removed so much overhead from the administration of such things.

I’ll have to run the numbers some day on the various (un)employment insurance schemes, but when I last checked, letting :us: keep their existing health care plans, while giving the remaining :us: folks :canada: health care, would be cheaper than the existing :us: system if you simply allowed :canada: to do the administration. :grin:

7 Likes

sad let down GIF by Game of Thrones

8 Likes

My brother has a theory on this. He thinks Martin just got so many threads in the air and as he tries to bring them to some sort of conclusion, he cannot figure out how to make it happen. Honestly, sort of what happened to the TV series as well. Very nearly did in Wheel of Time as well. These epic, many-volume series are easy to spin up and hard to land, which is why he says there will not be a third Mickey novel. Shameless plug, but his new one coming out The Fourth Consort is really really good, if I do say so myself. :grin:

4 Likes

I would not be surprised if that’s the case… Martin was really ambitious with the series, as it’s clearly influenced by the depth of Tolkein’s world building. I do think that his whole POV chapters makes it more difficult to pull together probably? Tolkein told the story from pretty much a neutral POV, while Martin decided to have a different character in each chapter driving the story… I can see getting lost in all those different subjective narratives pretty easily… it is one of the things I do like best about the books, though.

3 Likes

I heard the world was actually supposed to end a long time ago, just they’ve been having trouble wrapping up all the different story lines first.

5 Likes

Maybe he should bring on a co-author. As other older authors have done.

4 Likes

Yeah, could do…

3 Likes

Looks at internet “modem” with green lights, and wifi that needs sorted out, looks way back to the computer to do the job, the boxes in the way…

Sigh.

Two days!

3 Likes

Having AI take a first pass at the hearings and split them into three categories could be useful. The exact thresholds could be tweaked but maybe:

• Obviously deserving of benefits (say > 65% likely that a human would approve application)
  • Obviously not deserving of benefits (< 10% likely that a human would approve application)
  • Needs human review (in-between those thresholds, not clear enough a decision for the AI to make)

I know many people have (partially jokingly) said that Brandon Sanderson should step in and finish the series if Martin can’t (as he did with the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan passed away), but perhaps if Martin can’t figure out how to tie all this threads together into a cohesive ending, Sanderson could seriously offer to have a brainstorming session with Martin. With how intertwined (inter-Connected) the Cosmere is becoming (with worldhoppers running around) Sanderson has to have developed some ideas or techniques to keep the various storylines straight. Perhaps some of those ideas or techniques could help Martin with his plethora of POV characters and storylines.

5 Likes

He needs project management software.

4 Likes

https://www.wdtn.com/top-stories/springfield-city-hall-evacuated-after-threat/

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (WDTN) — City Hall was evacuated this morning in Springfield.

The Springfield Police Division confirmed to 2 NEWS that the building was evacuated due to an unspecified threat.

10 Likes

Dogs and cats living together?

5 Likes

Mass hysteria sounds about right.

7 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

Welp, it’s finally made it into the mainstream media…

Sad The Muppet Show GIF by Muppet Wiki

11 Likes
5 Likes