Fuck Today, Continued

You must be this tall to shoot the teacher.

12 Likes

Itā€™s not just Flint. This is a nationwide problem, and way past due for being addressed.

16 Likes

Also,

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/polio-detected-malawi-setback-eradication-82979403

WHO and its partners have struggled for decades to eradicate polio ā€” their initial deadline was to wipe out the disease by 2000 but they have since missed multiple targets to eliminate it. Many control efforts were suspended during the pandemic, allowing the disease to spread further in what some officials warned could be a devastating setback for eradication plans.

Between covid suspension and fundamentalist anti-vaccine bullshit, this bastard is trying to come back. Because itā€™s 2022, right? Why not? Fuckity fuck fuckā€¦

16 Likes

Horrible, horrible tragedy, this. I hope this doesnā€™t also fuel the anti-vaxxers. But at this point nothing will surprise me.

Most Americans alive today (including me, though Iā€™ve studied it) donā€™t remember the summer cycle of polio that existed in the first half of the 20th century. Swimming pools opened at Labor Day, and soon polio began to spread. What a horror for parents and children. The fact of a vaccine was a miracle. And the absolute joy with which it was welcomed was a result of the annual horror.

And many of the Americans alive today who are old enough to remember seem to be ignoring that lesson.

14 Likes

I just spent some time googling and couldnā€™t find his mugshot for either this arrest or his shoplifting arrest. Strange.

The guy that got shot, the supposed hostage, was Black, soā€¦

Also, since Gun is our most sacred artifact, and ownership a divine right, isnā€™t the correct way to approach a person sitting in the road with a gun just to ask them to move out of the road?

4 Likes

Good to see the Biden administration is getting started with environmental agencies and states on projects to replace lead pipes. The infrastructure funding should help with the costs.

13 Likes

I hope no one was hurt.

12 Likes

These two are on the case Iā€™m sure.

10 Likes

I need to rewatch that whole trilogy.

6 Likes

Bizarrely, the reason that lead isnā€™t a bigger issue in Chicago ā€“ building code regulations REQUIRED lead piping from the mains to homes/buildings until the 1960ā€™s ā€“ is because all of the pipes are so old that thereā€™s a thick layer of scale/minerals protectively lining them.

7 Likes

I know he was Black, hence the statement. The the guy sitting in the road did not have a gun, he had a toy truck he was playing with. The victim was his caregiver, who was trying to protect him from the police idiocy.

6 Likes

And that was the same in Flint, until they cheaped out on the needed additives to keep that scale layer from breaking down, resulting in the poisoning.

12 Likes

I didnā€™t realize that was the catalyst (heh, perfect word choice!) for the situation there. Makes sense, sadly.

11 Likes

Uh-ohā€¦thatā€™s a bad sign.

6 Likes
16 Likes
11 Likes

I suppose theyā€™d rather have ā€œnatural immunityā€ to polio as well ā€¦

5 Likes

Surprised Rami Malek GIF by Saturday Night Live

9 Likes

Angry Amy Sedaris GIF by truTVā€™s At Home with Amy Sedaris

8 Likes
7 Likes