Fuck Today, Continued

I wonder how they feel about the “academic rigor” of the field of economics, a field so male-dominated and consistently, very publicly, arriving at inaccurate and/or harmful conclusions…
That’s different, though. That helps get a few people very rich, whereas gender studies try to improve equity and equality, so :woman_shrugging:t2:

13 Likes

You could say the same about philosophy, too, which is also pretty dominated by white men. Though women and POC are making strides into the field.

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

They like to call the post-60s humanities “grievance studies” now for daring to explore real world harm of the structures we’ve built in our society these past few hundred years.

12 Likes

And also has one of the ugliest ongoing sexual harassment scandals in academia. Well, public ones anyway.

Here’s a wonderful 2-part essay on the problems within that discipline. It’s an older essay, but it checks out.

Part I
https://peasoup.princeton.edu/2019/08/first-of-a-two-part-series-on-sexual-harassment-in-philosophy/

Part II:
https://peasoup.deptcpanel.princeton.edu/2019/09/second-of-a-two-part-series-on-sexual-harassment-in-philosophy/

8 Likes

:roll_eyes:
I remember a physics professor told us that the study of ecology wasn’t a “real” science and ranked it just above astrology in terms of rigor.
I explained to him that ecology actually involves all the other sciences, so maybe he should read up on it.
Seems like in general there’s a large contingent of people who don’t want us studying things that might lead to responsible people with a conscience wanting to (gasp) change the way we do things.

11 Likes

There was also a photo of a Palestinian woman mis-identified as Ukrainian that went viral over the weekend. It is obvious that some people pay more attention to who is being occupied than the occupation…

8 Likes

This happens everywhere. Someone who is from my former department, but who I would not call a “colleague,” referred to faculty in the Ed school with an EdD as a “bunch of low-IQ wannabes who managed to muddle through fake doctoral programs.” He did this in a forum with those faculty present. And then when the folks in that college dropped all the department’s courses from their required and electives lists, he was both outraged and saw it as further evidence of their supposedly “low IQ.” I was glad to leave that place–aside from alienating a good many of my friends and colleagues in the College of Ed, it destroyed enrollment in my department.

11 Likes

Yep, I’ve seen that. Oh, the fucking irony.

9 Likes

Not surprising… the toxic masculinity in the field is pretty strong, especially for those dudes who idolize either the French post-war philosophers or Nietzsche and Heidegger… Life is just all intellectual exercises for these putzes…

9 Likes

Well, I nearly fucked up tomorrow. I have a job interview for another position tomorrow, two positions in the organisation were available.

Tonight, I realised that I prepared for the wrong one. I got invited to an interview for the other, not the one I prepared for.

Well, there goes my effort for today.

Danny Devito Animation GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Better than realising in the interview, I guess. Still.

Going to bed now. I’m down with a sinusitis infection after last cold, so I will be underperforming no matter how much effort I could still make.

16 Likes

That happened to me - in reverse.
Second interview, maybe twenty minutes in, the questions became puzzling and more puzzling, and when I asked what this had to do with the job I had applied for HR realized they had messsed up and were interviewing me for the other position they wanted to fill. Totally different job/field.
Awkward.

14 Likes

WTF?

“ That something was families claiming nearly a dozen children were paid $5 by their bus driver to take a mouth swab and give personal information, calling it a COVID-19 test.”

12 Likes

That Is Weird Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

11 Likes

Maybe he was looking for bamboo fibres, to prove that the children were infected by a Chinese 5G nano-virus.

6 Likes

I hate you… :wink:

5 Likes

I’m sorry… good luck anyways…

3 Likes

Remember back in the day, when Spotify was about to go down for refusing to cut ties with a fascist friendly talk show host?

Man, those were the days, eh?

17 Likes

Simpler times.

:neutral_face:

15 Likes

Was thinking this morning, after seeing a strange “something” on my leg, “remember when MRSA was a thing?” Boy, those were the days.

5 Likes

Remember when we got daily stories about what was coming out of the January 6th committee!!!

strangers-with-candy-good-times

10 Likes

What were Rogan’s views on Putin?

I imagine like Tucker he was a Putin sucker.

8 Likes