Fuck Today, Continued

Fuck Today for Girmay, the first Black African to win a stage in a grand tour.

10 Likes

Oh man thatā€™s terrible luck, feel so bad for him :cry:

9 Likes
17 Likes

FUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK!!!

No GIF

14 Likes

A rightwing lawyer explained how the fights for reproductive rights and for transgender peopleā€™s access to gender-affirming medical care are connected when it comes to the law.

15 Likes

Announcement
Extreme Weather Heightens Reliability Risks this Summer
May 18, 2022
ATLANTA ā€“ NERCā€™s 2022 Summer Reliability Assessment warns that several parts of North America are at elevated or high risk of energy shortfalls this summer due to predicted above- normal temperatures and drought conditions over the western half of the United States and Canada. These above-average seasonal temperatures contribute to high peak demands as well as potential increases in forced outages for generation and some bulk power system equipment.
While NERCā€™s risk scenario analysis shows adequate resources and energy for much of North America, the Western Interconnection, Texas, Southwest Power Pool (SPP), and Saskatchewan are at ā€œelevated riskā€ of energy emergencies during extreme conditions. Midcontinent ISO (MISO) is in the ā€œhigh riskā€ category, facing capacity shortfalls in its north and central areas during both normal and extreme conditions due to generator retirements and increased demand. Additionally, at the start of the summer, MISO will be without a key transmission line connecting its northern and southern areas as restoration continues on a four-mile section of a 500 kV transmission line that was damaged by a tornado in December 2021.

13 Likes
17 Likes

Oh No Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

14 Likes

One could argue that as a lawyer, she is legally required to report criminal behavior.

But that would be logical, and factual, and appropriate, so we canā€™t have that.

10 Likes

Angry Work GIF

15 Likes

Not buying this.

7 Likes

Respectfully beg to differ on that. Locally here in Mississauga :canada: we had (past tense) a coal fired power plant (largest in the world, when it was built). The school zone around that plant, what with coal being a big emitter of heavy metals, consistently had worse results on every measure. That has changed in the almost two decades since its closure. Socioeconomic factors donā€™t explain it (this courtesy of chats with the local city reps).

Gasoline was worse, but more thinly and far more widely spread.

Mother Jones had a good review of the literature. I became aware of the studies in the early 2kā€™s.

Edit: If there was a Trump support reference in the article, I couldnā€™t read down that farā€¦ missed itā€¦

3 Likes

Unleaded gas became available in 1975, and leaded was finally removed in 1996. Being that Gen X usually dates from 1965, this would make sense. The place that interpretation becomes tricky is the 6 IQ point average loss. Level of exposure is critical, and urban areas had much more intense exposure than suburban and rural areas. So the racial and economic disparity is very, very real, as is the economic and health impact. And of course this is before we consider other infrastructural differences, like water supplies and placement of heavy industry. Yeah, I can buy it. I donā€™t accept this as an ā€œexplanationā€ for the stupidity of Trumpers, though.

12 Likes

ā€œThe 75-year-old was laying on the ground around 2:50 a.m. when someone doused him in flammable liquid and set him ablaze in the 400 block of North Lower Wabash Avenue, police said,ā€ reported Joanie Lum. ā€œThe suspect fled the scene westbound on foot. A security officer from a nearby building used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire, officials said.ā€

ā€œThe man suffered burns to almost half of his body and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital where he was listed in critical condition, police said,ā€ the report continued. ā€œNo one is in custody as Area Three detectives investigate.ā€

Season 4 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

17 Likes

Lower Wabash means itā€™s amazing someone even saw it and was able to do something to save the guy.

Itā€™s mostly for truck deliveries, etc. Not a lot of traffic at 2:30am, and no building entrances for residents or retail. The perpetrator is probably going to get away with it.

9 Likes

When I last worked in the loop there were many people camped on lower Wabash. As I was getting to work at 0430, everyone was trying to sleep. And way down at ā€œground levelā€ of Wabash is the city tow lot, with trucks in and out all the time.
No need to wonder about the suspects-they were undoubtedly middle-class white men, between 17 and 25. Although calling them men might be overgenerous.

Are you thinking of Lower Wacker? Thatā€™s where the city tow lot is. Part of the same lower-than-street-level system, but across the river.

Lower Wacker and Lower Columbus both have the lionā€™s share of encampments, too.

3 Likes

An unidentified man was spotted on security camera footage stealing a gay-owned businessā€™s Pride flag and writing ā€œgroomersā€ on the sidewalk, and someone did the same to a house with a Pride flag nearby and to a house in a different neighborhood.

This year, conservatives have turned ā€œgroomerā€ and ā€œgroomingā€ into anti-LGBTQ slurs, referring to LGBTQ teachers and supporters as groomers, which is effectively calling them pedophiles.

The term grew in popularity partly due to the influential ā€œLibs of TikTokā€ Twitter account, where realtor Chaya Raichik posts videos of LGBTQ teachers and accuses them of pedophilia. Conservatives have gone so far as to accuse the Trevor Project of being a pedophilic operation because they run a crisis hotline for LGBTQ youth.

ā€œLibs of TikTokā€ is going to get someone killed

16 Likes

How to tell Iā€™m too tired to be typing-Lower Wacker is indeed where I was thinking of.

3 Likes

I suspect they already have and the connection just hasnā€™t been made yet

4 Likes