Fuck Today, Continued

Does /s/s mean twice as much sarcasm, or does the second one cancel the first?

2 Likes

Sad Ben Affleck GIF

14 Likes

But itā€™s the liberals who do cancel culture and conservatives who are standing up for free academic expression. /s

Iā€™m guessing that every last regent was appointed by a Republican governor?

4 Likes
5 Likes

In fact, the Norwegian government just announced that as a response police in the region will now be armed.

2 Likes

Oh, fuck,this just canā€™t end well. Anti-ā€œindoctrinationā€ reviews next? Canā€™t teach evolution in the evolutionary biology class? Political science? Oh, I donā€™t think so. Is that Trump approved? History? (I know, too close to home) Better buff the syllabus real quick. Shit, Mindy, I am so sorry.

10 Likes

ā€œToday we are engaged in a final, all-out battle between Postmodern Marxist atheism and Christianity.ā€

ā€œAre you now, or have you ever been, a BLM conspirator? Do you support the ideology of Critical Race Theory?ā€

2 Likes

just temporarily yeah?

theyā€™ve always had access to guns when needed, and have carried them briefly in the past, but ā€“ depending on which reports you read ā€“ it sounds like theyā€™re just doing this for a bit ( presumably, in case itā€™s part of a larger plot or because of copycats )

you do have to love their use of force compared to the usā€¦ this article was the year before they decided to stop regularly carrying:

The report found that in 2014, Norwegian police threatened to use their weapons 42 times. However, only two shots were actually fired during the entire year, and no one was wounded by eitherā€¦ The number of people wounded (zero) was lower than the previous year, and lower than the recent high of five in 2004.

i stumbled across this newsweek article about the killings. it lays out the differences between their gun laws and ours, as well as their police training and ours.

Policing is considered an ā€œelite occupationā€ā€¦ They must earn a three-year bachelorā€™s degree with one year dedicated to the study of society and ethics, a second to shadowing and the third to investigations and writing a thesis.

if only.

12 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve had a bit of contact with the Norwegian police (they handle visas), and they were very professional and helpful.

2 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

Well, not like I have a tenure track position at this point anywayā€¦ but it puts all of us at risk of easier firing.

10 Likes

ā€œ A New York City police officer is in custody after she allegedly shot two women, killing one, at a home in Brooklyn.

The officer, who was off-duty at the time, is believed to have shot both women ā€“ one of whom she was dating ā€“ when they returned to the home where the officerā€™s girlfriend lived.ā€

8 Likes

@Mindysan33 Wowā€¦ well, even in the 90ā€™s getting tenure was a tenuous propositionā€¦ but thisā€¦ Iā€™m led to reach back for solutions in that deep personal contradiction which is my :uk: trade union rootsā€¦ time for a wildcat strikeā€¦ not that 1927 was a net win for that side of the family. :thinking:

All part of a deeper malaiseā€¦ thoughā€¦ I think this might just be closer to truth than Iā€™d like:

via:

Awful. Kaohsiung is a gorgeous city and so very different from Taipei. The Lotus Pond is absolutely stunning.

4 Likes

Are universities supposed to be preparing students for the job market? A college (or uni) degree became a big thing, especially here in the US, after a few surveys showed that college graduates-at that time mostly doctors, lawyers, already rich people and such-have better earnings averaged over a lifetime. In the American mind, that meant that getting the degree would raise your income, and not much thought was given to the type of degree or what jobs would follow its acquisition. So soon every kid had to go to college, because employers, seeing so many graduates available, made the degree a requirement for new hires and it all went around and around until we ended up with huge numbers of people up to their ears in debt from getting degrees that really wonā€™t be helpful in getting much better employment.
And every kid is supposed to be assumed to be both interested in and capable of achieving getting that degree, by hook or by crook. (Sad but true:there are stupid people and they started out as stupid kids).
But the university is, arguably, not a place of job training.

7 Likes

But the university is, arguably, not a place of job training.

With you 100% thereā€¦ even though I did Co-op at the University of Waterloo, the original ā€œjob experienceā€ university program. :roll_eyes:

Arguably, here in Ontario :canada:, it was the College system that was set up for job training. Some of them, such as Sheridan College, are re-tooling themselves as universities, but they are much more oriented towards marketable skills. (Donā€™t get me wrong, I really like and respect Sheridan and what they do, which they do really well.)

A tenured prof I knew quit his top research university in no small part over the nonsense he was dealing with from under-skilled undergraduates, too many of them shoveled into the system in the name of ā€œgetting a good jobā€.

ā€œComputer Science: because your mother told you toā€ was the poster outside the CS Clubā€¦ :frowning_face:

5 Likes

Iā€™m gonna have to give that a listen in a bit, so thanks (Iā€™ll see how long the pdf is and skim it, too)ā€¦ I (as a lowly part-timer) have thoughts and opinions on this topicā€¦

5 Likes

@Mindysan33 (as a lowly part-timer)

Georgiaā€™s lossā€¦ :bowing_man:

4 Likes

This is their Horst-Wessel-Lied?

11 Likes