Fuck Today, Continued

I’m also wondering if that biofilm is merging with the products that create fatbergs in the sewer systems, and making the problem worse?

9 Likes

Which doesn’t work with septic systems because it creates an even bigger, more expensive problem!

10 Likes
12 Likes

Well, I almost certainly witnessed someone drown just now.

I was swimming in the sea after work, at a sea swimming institution here in Norway, where you can go out into the open water and then warm up again in a sauna and a heated pool. There was just me and one other person, a man in his late twenties I’d say, in the water, and a life guard leaning on the railing, watching us and talking to the other swimmer’s friend. When I turned towards the stairs to leave the sea, the three of us realised that we hadn’t seen the other swimmer for a minute or two. The sea was entirely empty as far as we could see.

Well, lifeguards jumped in and kept diving down but nobody even knew where exactly to dive. Eventually (incredibly quickly, actually,) police and SAR boats and jet skis arrived. We were told the pool is closing of course, so I never saw the person again, but on the way back an ambulance with full lights overtook the city bus I was on. This was about three quarters of an hour after we had first noticed something was amiss, though.

ETA: the local newspaper already has the scoop, and says he was alive when they transported him to the hospital

24 Likes

Holy shit. I hope he’s okay.

14 Likes

Thanks. So do I.

13 Likes

Drowning is very quiet and subtle. That guy was very lucky he was found quickly enough!

16 Likes
11 Likes

Fucking SA. This was so sad to read. Scared sparrows, indeed.

7 Likes
21 Likes
17 Likes

Germany has a well-build sewage system and water treatment. Since about the mid-1990s, this is basically true for all municipalities. For the vast majority of German citizens, it is quite unthinkable that other countries do not have this.

(I worked in several African countries, for longer times, and even I forget very often how much of a privilege this is… :roll_eyes:)

7 Likes

Remember, we are a very large country. Excellent municipal water and sewage systems in major metropolitan areas, but thousands of square miles of rural areas as well.

7 Likes

Ha Ha! Fuck you and die hub nut from hell!

Drilling and chiseling the hub nut didn’t work, so I was grinding it away with a burl bit, but that was taking forever. So I went up to Canadian Tire and got a set of cut-out wheels and started cutting chunks of the aluminum alloy.nut and remaining hub base collar off.

2/3rds of it around the agitator shaft was gone before it gave up its death grip and came loose. I think the years of laundry detergent had hardened like epoxy in and around it.

Now to inspect the bits under that, order the replacement parts, and start the cleaning decontamination process.

10 Likes

And who said animism was a dead religion? :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face: (certainly nobody who deals with computers… or steam trains…)

11 Likes
13 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes

What do you feel is the predominant opinion where you are, @vermes82 ? Are folks willing to endure some discomfort in support of the sanctions?

9 Likes