Fuck Today, Continued

Uh Oh Oops GIF by tv2norge

5 Likes

ā€œI have a foreboding of an America in my childrenā€™s or grandchildrenā€™s time ā€” when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and whatā€™s true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness. The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance.ā€

ā€“Carl Sagan
(The Demon-Haunted World)

13 Likes

Well, this sucks.

However, it does suggest that testing your soil for lead (and arsenic) might be more important than I had previously believed.

16 Likes

Decades of leaded gasoline. Thanks, assholes.

10 Likes
12 Likes

Or Uranium if you live in Port Hope, Ontario. :canada:

I count myself lucky to have spent my formative years in the middle of nowhereā€¦

4 Likes

jada pinkett smith that part GIF by Red Table Talk

I think this is key to effectively questioning authority, and not finding yourself subject to the sort of thing thatā€™s happened to Trumpā€™s followers is that youā€™re not questioning authority just to do it, but in order to improve things for all. There is a huge difference between calling out, say, police brutality that is regularly visited upon communities of color, and whinging because a rich white man canā€™t get away with doing whatever he wants to do, just because heā€™s wealthy and white.

11 Likes

PAY TEACHERS MORE!!!

19 Likes

That and give them greater autonomy in the classroom and shield them from BS from right wing, pearl clutching parentsā€¦

16 Likes

Yeah, that too! As the daughter (wow, first time Iā€™ve written that out :smiling_face_with_tear:) of a retired teacher, Iā€™m very sensitive to the mistreatment so many teachers receive. They work way too hard to be treated with such disdain, indifference, etc.

27 Likes

African American Awww GIF

20 Likes
16 Likes

So, fined and lost licenses but not in jail (yet :crossed_fingers:t4:)ā€¦and unfuck that legal expert for treating anything about this as a laughing matter, too. :angry:

12 Likes

Theyā€™re really not off to a good start with that new civil war.

11 Likes

They threw a civil war, and no body is comingā€¦

8 Likes

IANAL, nor a prosecutor, but I donā€™t understand how thatā€™s not rape or sexual assault.

10 Likes

RIP Trashcat. The world is a little less weird this morning.

13 Likes

Trashcat?

Dog What GIF by Heartland Animal Shelter

7 Likes

The name fit her. In a good way.

13 Likes

Oh, you lost your kittay??

Iā€™m so sorry.

In Love Cat GIF

15 Likes