Fucking NY Times

This feels like an Onion headline to me.

7 Likes

Douthat, of course.

9 Likes

fckngnytms

15 Likes

Even worse are people celebrating the “slowdown” of the economy, as it means lower inflation.

Do these people even hear themselves? They are rooting against the US economy and against workers because of a fear of inflation, which has been shown to be disconnected from the strength of the job market and rather the direct result of profit-taking by corporations.

Angry The Office GIF

9 Likes

… fit the same ethical profile as short-sellers, late stage capitalists, dealers high on their own supply, and Xtian Dominionists who want The End of Days to come ASAP.

I hate this fuckin’ timeline.

ETA:

“the downside”

8 Likes

They are rooting against the US economy and against workers because of a fear of inflation, which has been shown to be disconnected from the strength of the job market and rather the direct result of profit-taking by corporations.

That is indeed frustrating (though from what I’ve seen, it’s only been partailly shown to be the direct result of profit-taking by corporations). If only ordinary voters were say, one tenth as informed as we lot back here. My local feeds are bursting with complaints about ever-rising prices, and with blame for no one and nothing else but Biden (and “Bidenomics”). Prices are going up a lot, he’s president, so “of course it’s his fault.”

12 Likes

Dozens of tenured journalism professors at top schools across the U.S. have raised concerns that The New York Times is risking its own credibility, as well as the credibility of journalism at large, with its inaction on an article about sexual violence on October 7 that has come under scrutiny in recent months due to its reliance on questionable — and, in some cases, debunked — evidence.

In a letter sent to The New York Times Company Chairperson A.G. Sulzberger, the group of over 50 professors say that The New York Times must “immediately commission a group of journalism experts to conduct a thorough and full independent review of the reporting, editing and publishing processes for this story and release a report of the findings.”

The story, entitled “‘Screams Without Words’: Sexual Violence on Oct. 7,” was widely circulated after its publication in December and has been used by government officials and Zionist groups to supposedly justify Israel’s genocidal brutality against Palestinians in Gaza.

The story made a number of allegations about systemic sexual and gender-based violence against Israeli women by Hamas fighters during the October 7 attack. But investigations by The Intercept and testimony reported on by other journalists found that Times journalists internally questioned the quality of the reporting behind “Screams Without Words,” raising concerns that it didn’t meet the paper’s standards for evidence and fact-gathering and rather served to boost the paper’s pro-Israel slant.

In their letter, first published by The Washington Post, the professors say that “Screams Without Words” has had an immeasurable effect on Palestinians, who are forced to bear the consequences of the manufactured consent drummed up by The Times and other outlets in the months since October 7.

8 Likes

and one thing missing from most coverage is comparisons to other countries. ( maybe because that’d show we’re actually doing pretty well? relatively speaking… )

11 Likes

Yep. But the corporate price gouging share of 53% of 8% inflation leaves 3.9% inflation - well within the normal range. When the price gouging more than doubles inflation beyond it’s normal range, then it is 100% responsible for the perception that inflation is high.

One of the other drivers of inflation right now is anti-immigration policy. The US has a shortage of workers willing to pick produce and work in meat packing, so those prices go up due to shortages.

13 Likes

Yeah. I share stuff like this, which maybe gets some folks thinking better.

9 Likes
5 Likes

… it’s pretty safe for David Brooks though :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

At least until someone yells “Bedbug!”. Or is that Stephens?

2 Likes

Yes and.

Texas farmers I talk with have mentioned they had and are having a hard time finding workers to pick produce. Golly, I wonder why…

Should TFG end up [through whatever means] re-entering the White House, his “plans” apparently include tariffs + deportations of millions of workers1 + more of what we saw during his previous term but with fewer brakes inside the Oval, esp if the U.S. military can’t figure out how to install human counterweights there.

But hey man “Biden-flation” and whatevs.

Every parent knows that teaching children that all choices have consequences is crucial to getting the ol’ critical thinking wiring installed early and often.

But.

Maybe it’s time for all U.S.ians to experience collective punishment and negative consequences for the bad choices some weird psychopath pols make in order to enrich themselves. I won’t chant “we get the government we deserve” like some of my most cynical friends do, because I don’t believe that. I will say that the young people of this country see everything, assuming they care enough to look and think for themselves.

Contrast this with the Time interview, where Trump defends deploying the military both at the border and inland to deport “15 million and maybe as many as 20 million” undocumented immigrants — the equivalent of deporting the entire state of Florida.

8 Likes

If losing millions of Americans to COVID, friends and relatives, and many millions others suffering from long COVID wasn’t enough, nothing is.

5 Likes

Agreed, however pols know from experience that people have a short attention span in the US. That’s why they cast everything negative as an anomaly or once in a lifetime event that we should all get over quickly and move on. At the same time, we get multiple daily doses of revisionist history and misinformation designed to steer public opinion in whichever direction suits corporate objectives.

That’s our punishment for allowing the GOP and corporate interests to gain so much power over the press and the public sector. The negative consequences will continue until we take that power back. The number of people on the team playing defense grows as TPTB find more to attack. We outnumber the vocal minority supporting fascism. Still, without an effective way to counter the media telling the masses every day that they are going to lose, they might convince too many voters to stay home on election day.

11 Likes

Los Angeles Anniversary GIF by The Paley Center for Media

6 Likes
3 Likes

12 Likes

I am being deprived of my fundamental right to have editorials that don’t make me roll my eyes.

10 Likes