"Full House" star is full of bigotry

Recently I saw someone do the math on the “Married with Children” house. To my surprise, apparently that one was basically plausible.

9 Likes

They are about to premier their first gay Christmas movie. Also, they have hired gay actors. Luke Macfarlane, Billy Eichner’s costar in Bros, has starred in several Hallmark romcoms.

Look, I’m not a huge fan of the genre of Christmas made-for-tv romcoms. However, I watch a lot of them because the woman I’m a caregiver of is obsessed with them. And I have to say, Hallmark has made huge progress over the last decade. Ten years ago, the basic plot of most of these movies was that women would be happier and more fulfilled if they’d just give up their hectic careers in the big city, and settle down with a good man in the country and have a bunch of kids. The casts were almost exclusively white, with maybe a token person of color as a background character who probably wouldn’t get more than a couple of lines of dialogue. Today, the plots, while still boringly predictable, are at least more varied and rarely involve a woman giving up her career for love. They usually find a way for her to have both. Several of these movies every year now star people of color in the leads, and there have even been a couple of interracial ones. Big change from a decade or so ago when Meghan Markle starred in one and played a white woman. So I don’t want to dump on Hallmark too much because they are making progress, and Candace Cameron Bure leaving them to go start her own channel is a good thing. It means Hallmark is doing something right. Bure used to be a cohost of the View, which I also watch most days, and so her bigotry is not news to me. She didn’t hide it too much on that show.

22 Likes

Barney Miller probably had the most realistic workspaces on TV.

8 Likes

She’s married to him though, so not far off the mark.

4 Likes

Sitcoms especially. If the focus is humor, the place where the characters hang out has to feel secure, familiar and comfortable in a way that most people in reality are deliberately obstructed from achieving. If the house in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air burned down in a wildfire or Jerry Seinfeld was forced to move to a different, dingier apartment in season 4 because he couldn’t afford to pay the rent any more, the sudden, jarring change would be disastrous for the show (and not just because of the cost of building a new set). It even holds true for workplaces like the garage in Taxi or the courtroom in Night Court. Arguably, a sitcom’s setting is more important than the characters in it- even if problems are written for those characters, the viewer always gets to stay in that safe, familiar place. You’ll never see a main cast member leave for a different job, then have the show follow them to a new location permanently.

7 Likes

The Bure she is married to did not play for the Canucks. That’s Pavel Bure. She’s married to his brother, Valeri.

7 Likes

Just how “traditional” is she going? like pre-Loving vs Virginia? or just bigoted against lgbtq relationships?

10 Likes

That’s right. Some devout Christians prefer to define marriage as it’s described in the Bible, between one man and one or more women or underage girls.

9 Likes

The part of this I find to be… at least the most ironic is that it’s so transparently trying to get attention from a specific niche of people. Because she didn’t have to say anything, Making a bunch of Christmas movies full of straight people is something you can just do without any permission from anyone. That’s what “heteronormative culture” means. You only need advertise it if your movies are boring drivel that nobody want to watch, but you can get a bunch of homophobic assholes to think they are owning the libs by watching your shitty movies.

14 Likes

You mean children. Let’s not avoid that point, as the xtians are frequently wont to do…

8 Likes

Doesn’t matter. The circle is complete.

2 Likes

If they can get away with it, both.

4 Likes

Now that I think about it, I agree. I had friends whose houses looked very similar.

The Simpsons when it came out was also fairly realistic.

3 Likes
4 Likes

She can keep her “love” because I don’t want it.

6 Likes

Who?

10 Likes

Shows how much I follow hockey and fundie tv stars! :smiley:

12 Likes

Jeezus, no one hates what she values. Gay people aren’t running around calling for an end to straight marriage. The only one hating other people’s values is her.

23 Likes

Forget that lame holiday movie made by bigots, watch something made by good people with warm and fuzzy hearts.

Fraggle Rock: Night of the Lights

12 Likes

This is too on point not to share;

29 Likes