Furries don't have sex in fursuits

As if the portrayal of serious computer people actually being productive on those bleepy bloopy computers with those 3D swishy swoopy graphics everywhere wasn’t enough of an indicator.

4 Likes

It’s what Crichton called the Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect.

We see the newspaper (or a TV show, or a book) get something spectacularly wrong (No, NCIS, two hackers typing on the same keyboard won’t be able to “hack faster”). And then we watch the next episode, which has nothing to do with our own area of expertise, and think, “Oh, that sounds plausible.”

If they get the stuff wrong that you know about, it’s a good indicator that they don’t care enough to get the stuff you don’t know about right, either.

10 Likes

I’m not sure how interesting that would be.

Adam: We’ve been getting fan mail saying that we should debunk myths about furry fandom. Since Jamie constantly cosplays as a walrus, I figured he’d be on board with this.
Jamie: *sigh* Well let’s meet with some real furries to get answers for the most popular myths about furries.
Adam: Today we have Steelcat Flashyfangs here to help us with our myths. Steelcat, can yo-
Steelcat Flashyfangs: Please, call me Mr. Flashyfangs.
Adam: Ok, um, Mr. Flashyfangs, can you help us with these fan questions?
Mr. Flashyfangs: Aye, let’s proceed.
Jamie: Our first question comes from Gil, from Las Vegas. He asks, “do you have sex while in your fur suit?”
Mr. Flashyfangs: Are you kidding? These things are custom made and cost like $5,000. Next!
Adam: Looks like that myth is… BUSTED
Adam: Ok, let’s kick it off to Grant and Tory who are in the Mojave Desert to help with more furry myths.
Grant: Thanks, Adam. We are here in the Mojave with our new friend Flamebunny Brightmug who will help us with another myth. Flamebunny, we have a letter from fan who asks, “as a furry do you spend all your time walking around with a tail or fur hood?”
Flamebunny: Nope.
Tory: Looks like this myth is also… BUSTED

It would be the crappiest episode ever.

11 Likes

???

7 Likes

From my understanding via a friend who I believe actually does do sex in a fursuit: ice pack vests.

6 Likes

Any furry vet will tell you to spring for the refrigeration unit when you buy the suit proper.

9 Likes

What I don’t understand is the desire to persuade people that furries do/don’t. I have seen photos which demonstrate that some do. Personally, I don’t care if they are a minority or “not true furries”. Just like squares/straights/vanillas/etc worry too much about what kind of sex other people and groups are having, I think that people also worry far too much about what others think of them.

That’s the spiral of pejoration, where people try to change their public image as a result of others lack of respect. But it gives your opposition too much power to change your cultural narrative.

5 Likes

Furries don’t have sex in fursuits

Do they never try? I’m a little disappointed now.

4 Likes

Because a person doesn’t enjoy having things told about “their people” that aren’t true, beyond that generally the people who say these things about furs are jeering/disgusted at such expressions of (generally queer) sexuality.

I can understand how someone might want to describe themselves and their (usually nonsexual) interests, hobbies, or lifestyle to a listener.

5 Likes

What is a person if they can’t speak for themselves and who they know? The issue comes from speaking for all the members of a group, which the furs don’t appear to be doing.

1 Like

Paging all furries! We have a sex-positive, shame-free (and shameless!) thread that would gladly welcome you:

13 Likes

pursuit of hirsute happiness?

9 Likes

Yeah. Seems many think all of us furries are dirty and such when it isn’t true. I just only fursuit for bringing smiles to people’s faces. Why can’t it get respect like any other fandom or hobby like cosplay or such?

11 Likes

Even when not sexualized, it’s still something of a lifestyle expression, a queerness (my opinion, I’m no expert on queer theory, but I don’t see it as quite or always a “kink”) that persons are not familiar with. I don’t know if I’d consider furdom similar to cosplay, though there’s certainly an overlap.

Where are our manners today? Welcome to BoingBoing. As you can see, people here are mostly friendly and open to discussing just about anything. We always like to get new perspectives from knowledgeable people. You’ll get the usual jokes, (maybe you can give us some new ones) but not much rudeness or negativity. Stick around.

I’m sure you’re aware of this, but others in this thread might enjoy it.

14 Likes

And hissute, too.

8 Likes

I don’t know the answer to this, but as @teknocholer says above, you’re welcome here.

8 Likes

They absolutely do! Some definitely do. I think the point isn’t whether they do or not, it’s the clarification of the common myth that fursuits are inherently fetish wear. That when you see a guy in a fursuit, you shouldn’t assume that’s why they’re being worn. It’s clearing up a misconception.

6 Likes

I used to be pretty WTF about furries until

a) Old college friend, terribly socially awkward, started going to furry cons, a LOT, and made a whole bunch of friends. Followed him on Twitter as he travelled the country and Europe and at local get-togethers, bouncing around in his colorful donkey suit.

b) When the same friend got cancer, untreatable, drawn out, he got immense support from the same community. Visitors, on line appreciations etc.

Never asked about any personal habits vis-a-vis his suit. Not my business.

20 Likes

I like vanilla,
It’s the finest of the flavors

2 Likes